Old lady pills!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ages

Contributor
Reaction score
I am soooo thrilled....If I hear the words "you're at that age" one more time, someone is going to get hurt!!

Anyway, I have been prescribed a pill called Vioxx. I asked the doctor if it in anyway could be affected or affect my diving. Especially since I tend to dive deep. He recommended I take it at night instead of during the day. He also said he didn't know if any problems with it and diving.

Has anyone heard of any problems with Vioxx and diving?

ages

Best thing to do is to go to DAN's website Click here - Divers Alert Network and look it up. You can also call their non-emergency number and talk to someone in person.

You also might want to checkout Dr. Campbell's site - Click here - Scubadoc

And of course our excellent doctors here onsite will have their own advice. :D

Done that!! I checked out the DAN website before asking the question here. There was nothing when I did a seach using Vioxx. I will try calling them on Monday morning. Am not diving this weekend....it is tooo cold temp was -4 today. While diving isn't bad in the cold, but the howling winds make the entry and exit most unpleasant!! ages

Hi ages:

Vioxx belongs to a family of drugs called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). NSAIDs are generally safe with diving. They can interfere with blood clotting so some express the concern that they could increase the damage from a barotrauma injury, but others point out that interfering with blood clotting could potentially help in some cases of decompression illness. When one school of thought tells you that you should never take a drug and dive yet another school of thought say you should always take the drug when diving, the answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

Like all medical conditions and the drugs used to treat them, sometimes the condition for which you are taking the drug can interfere with diving and sometimes side effects of the drugs can indirectly affect a person's diving. (For example, someone gets stomach upset from an NSAID, doesn't drink enough fluids, and dives while dehydrated.)

Go back to Scubadoc's site at http://www.scuba-doc.com/drugsdiv.htm and use his links to do a search on Vioxx so you can read about its potential effects and side effects. Also, a search of "NSAID" on this site revealed http://www.scubaboard.com/search.ph...id=18851&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

HTH,

Bill

The above information is meant for discussion purposes only and is not specific medical advice for any individual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom