Old Moray ventures out of his hole!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moray Mike

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks! I'm really glad to have been introduced to this great forum. I'm gettin' a bit long in the tooth now but hope I still have many a good year of divin' left in me.

Started out with BSAC in Cyprus back in '68. Trainin' seemed pretty basic back then. All the kit was dropped into the murky harbour and I was told to go down and put it on. Managed that, but then it wasn't that difficult - there was not a lot of stuff to put on. No BCD and the tank had a pair of crinkly tubes you pulled over your head and stuck in your mouth.

Dived a bit for a year or so in Cyprus but there were too many distractions to keep going. So it was about 30 years before I got back into the water. This time with PADI for a family holiday in the Red Sea. Not looked back since then.

Not a huge number of dives clocked up cos my buddy (my wife Diana) and I have sort of stuck to warm water and holiday divin'. But that's all now gonna change. Got ourselves a couple of dry suits and it's time to try home waters for a while.

Not that we'll drop the travellin' bit. Never yet dived America. That's gotta be on the cards for this year. Whaddya reckon?

Welcome Mike,

I got back in the water in '98 after an 8 year SI. At lot changed so I needed some training. This year I took Drysuit and Divemaster. Next will be Cavern in Florida. This board helped a lot with equipment info when I was researching new gear.

Have fun with those drysuits,

Jim

to the Scuba Board
30 years is a pretty long Dive Interval! and the regs you discribe sounds like the ones i saw on the show Flipper back in the day. glad you swam in.

Mike

Thanks, Jim. I feel sure ScubaBoard's goin' to be a lot of help to me, too.

Is Florida good for cavern diving? We were on a liveaboard in Turkey last September and there were some great cave dives near Fethiye on the southern coast. Not much wildlife, but the caves were good!

Hi Mike,

Northern Florida has freshwater springs, caves, and sinkholes that are beautiful and this area is known as cave-diving country. I did some of the caverns in '89 and now I'd like to do them with proper training. If you do a search on Ginnie Springs or Luraville you'll get an intro to the sites that are available there.

Jim

And welcome to SB! :wavey: Put us in your Favorites, and check in often. It's really nice to have a few around here who are actually older than me....

don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom