Old question ? re: Suunto RGBM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chopper

New
Reaction score
This may be old question, but I'm new user, so go easy on me!I have read with much interest all the 2003 discussion about the Suunto RGBM and it has answered many of my questions. I came along looking for answers as to the following: I noticed when using my Suunto Vyper for deco dives that it was bringing me up very shallow to deco, ie. typically giving me 3m ceiling for anything in the 30-40m range. This seems to be contrary to my understanding, in that RGBMs should introduce deep stops to smooth out the deco profile. I now learn that this ‘recreational’ RGBM is not the full implementation and it’s mainly for divers who avoid necessary deco. I’m not happy with such a shallow ceiling, and generally ascend slowly and stop deeper than the computer says. Funnily, enough, buried in the small print in the Vyper instruction booklet, it recommends deco-ing at below 4m!! Well, I thought, no matter. I’ll follow the decompression ‘floor’ which should allow me to off-gas more slowly whilst staying a bit deeper. According to the instructions, the ‘floor’ is represented by the upward pointing arrow (ie. the lower half of the ‘hourglass’ icon), which disappears when you enter the deco zone. The deco zone should start when the leading tissue reaches a sufficiently low ambient pressure to begin off-gassing. Well following the Vyper, this doesn’t seem to be the case, since the ‘floor’ seems to be not much below the ‘ceiling’ ie. about 6m. This is very misleading as it represents the most efficient deco zone and not the real ‘floor’ at all. In fact, when I analysed some dive profiles using the desktop software, it seems that the leading fast tissues start off-gassing and the slow tissues stop on-gassing about where you’d expect them to, ie. about where you would put in the first deep stop, which is half the maximum depth minus the first stop ( about 15m for a 35m dive). Presumably this is at or close to the real ‘floor’. OK, so the Suunto RGBM is not the full implementation, as it doesn’t put in the deep stops. It seems that for the most part the modifiers affect what happens on the surface and for following dives in a series rather than actually modifying the dive profile itself. That’s fine, I still thing RGBMs are the way forward, but can anyone tell me what would happen if, using the Vyper in normal air/nitrox mode I put in the deep stops ? Would it penalise me unduly ? or is a foolhardy thing to do given the way it works ? Should I use it in Gauge mode for serious dives and use dissolved gas tables with gradient factors or go out and buy a new one with the full RGBM ?? I guess I'm a bit behind the times, but the full RGBM models came out last year, right ?

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom