"Old" scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Nemrod,

I also have a Legend. It's gathering dust right now, and will probably be sold next season. My modern reg is an atomic, but I'm shopping for a vintage scubapro with the metal 2nd stage face.

You'll like this story. I was at my LDS today, and someone asked. "What's the oldest gear you've seen anyone dive with?" The owner looked at me and asked. "What's your oldest reg?"

The guy couldn't believe I dive a 58 model DA. He was convinced that it must be about to fall apart. I told him that the design is much simpler that modern regulators, and that if the parts that wear are replaced, it was just as reliable as any modern reg, and more so since there is less to go wrong. He had this blank look that basically said that he believed I was crazy.

"He had this blank look that basically said that he believed I was crazy."

Yes, I get that blank look all the time, you must understand they are all sold on this life support thing and only nucleur scientist can work on the things because they are so complex. We live in a throw away world and modern gear is noting more than tomorrows land fill trash. The best part is when they see you dive with it and that you have a successful and safe dive without all the ecumberences fosited upon us by a consumer society their eyes have this incredulous look that people get when they cannot reconcile fact with their belief system--now being challneged. It is part of the fun. The best to date was when me and Chuck passed these techie sorts at 110 feet that were double checking and S drilling and high fiving, helicopeter turning each other as we leisurely swam past them, no BC, no long hoses, no butter knifes and scissors, they had that look, we might as well have been flying saucers--lol. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom