"Old" scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, it's my Sherwood Brute:D . Purchased in Sept. 1985, and how do I know this, my wife just found my first log book.

My God, that makes it older than some of the students in class, oh-well:11: .

I have a set of twin 72's with original hydro in 69 and 70. Great tanks. Then I have a Nikonos I, II, and III that I use as the ocasion permits. Lets say late 50's to early 80's on those. Most of the rest of the gear is from the mid 90's on.

I also just set up a girl at work with a set of 72's and worked her out this afternoon at a quarry, I don't know which is more disturbing the tanks being older then she was or being asked if she was my daughter.

PeteJ

Dude, are you OK?, your mask is on backwards? are you in distress?

DSCF0110.jpg

What is the matter with that regulator there, it only has one hose! Kids, what can you do?

N, for you Mike Nelson because you were there for us

Here's one of my old dive buddies in the '70s. He's wearing one of those new "tempered glass" masks, his steel 72 is strapped to his plastic back plate, he's even wearing his "safety vest" (which he rarely did) although it probably didn't have a working co2 cartridge in it, and his reg is a geniune Voit/Swimmaster. I still have one of those regs somewhere, and I still have the Nikonos II that I took this photo with although the little Oceanic strobe I used bit the brine many years ago. -Clay
a32bce00.jpg

louisianadiver:
Here's one of my old dive buddies in the '70s. He's wearing one of those new "tempered glass" masks, his steel 72 is strapped to his plastic back plate, he's even wearing his "safety vest" (which he rarely did) although it probably didn't have a working co2 cartridge in it, and his reg is a geniune Voit/Swimmaster. I still have one of those regs somewhere, and I still have the Nikonos II that I took this photo with although the little Oceanic strobe I used bit the brine many years ago. -Clay
a32bce00.jpg

I have several of those masks, it's my favorite a USD Atlantis.

louisianadiver:

Is that a sportsways label on his tank? I would love to have a few reproduction sportsways labels. Does anyone know where I can get some? Or, do you know where I can find a good picture of it?

My reg is a sherwood blizzard, its about 30 years old(?) and I have a scuba pro(or sheerwood) depth gauge i just got yesterday and its the better part of 30 years old as well, dove with it yesterday, works great! goes to 300 ft ha

I have a feeling the blizzard is going to be out of parts soon though.

BSea:
Is that a sportsways label on his tank? I would love to have a few reproduction sportsways labels. Does anyone know where I can get some? Or, do you know where I can find a good picture of it?

It appeard to be a Voit/ Swim Master lable. Check vintage scuba on ebay for lables

Just two weeks ago replaced my 20 year old USD Conshelf 21 with a Scubapro MK17/555. I must say the new reg breathes like a dream, especially at 120' and deeper, and I wish I had replaced it sooner, though I will still use the Conshelf for independent doubles.

Hey, in general the new stuff works great. If you have any problems with the old stuff, ditch it. Parts are hard to find in some cases and most shops are not familiar with the excentricities of old gear.

The great fear I have of old gear is having it fail after spending 3 grand on a dive trip and having to use rental junk.

Stan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom