Question What to do with very old gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diveheart accepts old wetsuits! They cut them up and people craft them into critters, pouches, bags, etc. that they sell to raise funds for the organization. I have a couple old suits I am going to cut up and use to make padding sleeves for my bike stand rather than clamping the frame directly when I can't use the seat post. My Gf has a carbon frame bike and while clamping the frame is highly discouraged, sometimes you have to if working on the seat post. If that's the case, I want padding on there.
They can also be used to make mats for cleaning regs, guns, fishing reels, etc.
I've also used an old thicker suit to make kneeling pads when working on my mower or washing the car wheels.
Just need a little imagination.
As for the old BC, that may be something that does end up in a land fill. Or as an educational aid or display item in a shop. I have an old horsecollar BC. I keep it around because it was given to me by a dear friend. Someday I may try to dive it. Just for the hell of it. I have friends who have some old double hose regs and I may borrow one and throw it on one of my old steel 72s.

IMG_8970.jpeg

Plenty of stuff can be done with old gear…

How old is your "very old" gear? Pre-1975 equipment may qualify as "vintage" and as such have historical value or interest independent of its "diveability".

Can you list, or better still, illustrate any "very old" masks, snorkels or fins you have and we may then be able to gauge whether they are worth preserving.

Buy the way to add: We use old wet suites when practicing first aid/AAD. I'm sure that local dive shops and Instructors do the same ( I would hope ! ) It's a way to practice on the real thing and not skip a step.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom