Question What to do with very old gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've listed it locally and have a couple more places I could list it. Could list a few things here. And the last thing I need is "Florida Man" contenders but, I guess that comes with trying to sell used stuff, eh?
You may find that people come here that may not pay any attention to “local” news or classifieds.

Unfortunately, they really don't have much value as far as I can tell. As a relatively new diver, I wouldn't buy old used gear from someone I don't know really well because I'd be afraid of failure that could range from inconvenience to life threatening.

My wife bought me a BCD as a Christmas present, based upon the ones that I'd used and conversation with my instructor. My regulator was a gift from my brother; he gave it to me and went to his "travel unit". I trust him, he trusts it, and I've used it for approximately 40 dives.

I have two dive computers, one was given to me by my brother, it was his spare, and I've used it for almost every dive I've been on. The second one was purchased from a member here at ScubaBoard; I've tested it in a pool, taking it with me as my primary for my next trip - but I'll have the original with me as backup.

I suspect that experienced divers mostly have their own gear, and it's newer.

I think the real value of your gear, as you've described it, is in your memories.
Still, I'd like to ethically dispose of it. I'm thinking of going to
Unfortunately, they really don't have much value as far as I can tell. As a relatively new diver, I wouldn't buy old used gear from someone I don't know really well because I'd be afraid of failure that could range from inconvenience to life threatening.

My wife bought me a BCD as a Christmas present, based upon the ones that I'd used and conversation with my instructor. My regulator was a gift from my brother; he gave it to me and went to his "travel unit". I trust him, he trusts it, and I've used it for approximately 40 dives.

I have two dive computers, one was given to me by my brother, it was his spare, and I've used it for almost every dive I've been on. The second one was purchased from a member here at ScubaBoard; I've tested it in a pool, taking it with me as my primary for my next trip - but I'll have the original with me as backup.

I suspect that experienced divers mostly have their own gear, and it's newer.

I think the real value of your gear, as you've described it, is in your memories.
Still want to ethically dispose of it.

Thinking of visiting OMyMyOHellYes 's neighborhood and waiting around for those two guys. :)

What I do with anything that is past its life, is scrap it out. I take things apart so any metal can be recycled. Most of the plastic is sadly for the landfill. Computers can be recycled, just need to find a local drop off. Not much else on can do.

Retiring from diving. What to do with old gear? I've searched the boards and not found answers.

Have it listed for sale locally with no takers. One family member wanted some newer stuff but... what to do wtih 40-year-old BCDs and 20+ year old computers and old wetsuits?
Captain Obvious here. In addition to listing your ancient gear locally on Craigslist or whatever (and your ad does say it's "Free to good home," I hope), have you listed it here on SB in the Classifieds (again, with the word "Free")? People have listed free stuff before, because, as you said, any home for it is better than the landfill.

Perhaps if you were to list brand and model, it might help. One man’s “ancient” is another man’s “everyday” equipment.
For instance, what regs do you have, and what computers? We have a vintage dive gear page on this forum where such things are disciussed daily.
🐸

I should add that, especially on a forum like this, there are people who want old gear for the parts. But that's mainly regulators. A 40 year-old BC and wetsuit? Probably destined for the landfill. If the computer doesn't find a home, a specialty recycling center should take it. We have one near us that takes anything and everything electronic.

Old stuff.... Yeah, most is about the memories. 1980's gear isn't very sought after. Doubtful any of this is. I'll still never forget a coworker who aged out of diving disposing of his gear in the garbage. He had absolutely pristine ScubaPro 109 regs... Took a sledge hammer to them first.... I wanted to cry...

Old stuff.... Yeah, most is about the memories. 1980's gear isn't very sought after. Doubtful any of this is. I'll still never forget a coworker who aged out of diving disposing of his gear in the garbage. He had absolutely pristine ScubaPro 109 regs... Took a sledge hammer to them first.... I wanted to cry...
If only I had such gems. My SP reg died a couple years ago and I found someone here who wanted the carcass for parts. A 2o+ year old Aqualung probably won't be as sought after but I'm going to list it.

If only I had such gems. My SP reg died a couple years ago and I found someone here who wanted the carcass for parts. A 2o+ year old Aqualung probably won't be as sought after but I'm going to list it.
Which computer do you have?

Back
Top Bottom