Old Steel Tank From The Late 70s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, yes, that's an LP72 with a galvanized finish and an older Sherwood K valve. It has the standard 3/4" neck thread.

It's possible that there's an internal coating, which may have to be removed by tumbling or shot blasting to facilitate a VIP and to preclude chunks of the coating falling off and clogging the valve or first stage. Not a big deal as long as you use a shop that knows how to do it. The valve should be serviced if you're going to use it.

It is difficult to find hydro shops that will stamp a + rating on an LP72 even if the tank passes, because documentation of the REE value is unclear. None of my local hydro facilities will do it, although people in other areas have shops that will. Without a + rating the fill capacity is reduced to 65 cf, unless you can find a fill station willing to fill it to a higher pressure than is officially sanctioned.

Even so, these cylinders are neutrally buoyant when empty and useful for a variety of purposes. I have 3 of them.

I doubt that tank has a liner, and I'll also bet it will pass hydro with flying colors.
They make great beach diving tanks when a hike is involved.
I have five of them.

Reactions: Jax
Took the tank into my local dive shop, and they took a look inside. They could see what appeared to be either remnants of a partially removed liner or rust, and that between the cost of tumbling, hydroing, and a new valve, it probably wasn't worth resurrecting.

Wouldn't need a new valve. The current one obviously wasn't leaking.

Any pictures of the interior?

depends on the cost. i can see someone not wanting to spend 80 to 120 dollars to rehab an old steel 72 when you can buy a used steel 72 off the LDS with a fresh hydro and vip for the same money.

depends on the cost. i can see someone not wanting to spend 80 to 120 dollars to rehab an old steel 72 when you can buy a used steel 72 off the LDS with a fresh hydro and vip for the same money.

If it was the same money, why not? I had one tumbled, hydroed, vip, and filled for a bit over $70 a while back. I do admit I do go directly to the hydro facility myself. In addition, they are not making any more so I feel obligated to keep them in service because they are a great tank, although too small to some divers taste.

Bob

Took the tank into my local dive shop, and they took a look inside. They could see what appeared to be either remnants of a partially removed liner or rust, and that between the cost of tumbling, hydroing, and a new valve, it probably wasn't worth resurrecting.

I don't get it. It doesn't need a new valve unless you were switching to DIN. Hydro, tumble, VIP, and fill, $35. Seems like a bargain on a tank I normally sell for $75.

The valve needs to be cleaned up, and I'm not sure if soft parts are readily available for it. Besides, I'd really prefer DIN. Hydro and VIP cost $50 here, and I'm not sure how much tumble would add on top of that. It wasn't something I was looking for, nor is it something I really need, but rather a cool find I stumbled upon. It's not worth it to me to overhaul. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom