Old Steel Tank From The Late 70s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For doubles, I have a set of Catalina AL 45's and a set of flame sprayed 38's from the way back machine. I'm amazed guys tote those doubled up 95's around and when a set of those hit the deck after a good roll, wow. Watch your feet.

I'm curious what about them makes for poor backmount doubles? Is it that they are too narrow to properly fit a manifold / bands? I haven't doubled up any tanks (yet...), so I'm a novice when it comes to such things.

You can find bands for them (for 7" tanks) and the standard threaded manifolds work fine. I just don't like the way they trim out for me. I find AL80 doubles much better, which is weird because I don't like them as single tanks, and I love 72s as singles. Go figure.

The real beauty of 72s is that they weigh only 27lbs and are roughly neutral when empty. For shore dives where you don't need too much air they're perfect. Compare that with an AL80 that holds not much more air, weighs 34 lbs and is 4 lbs positive, so it's like an extra 11lbs to lug around shore.

Just a quick thank you to the folks on this thread! The tank passed hydro with flying colors - got me a new old steel 72. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom