Old timers diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's see. What was my point? I forgot.

I got old by being very smart and very careful. Make no assumptions about anyone based on age.

Words I live by.

You get old by not f'n up more than your ability to recover, it is an art form.

Bob
------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

This is my buddy Doc on my right. He's 70 and I'm 56.....what were we talking about? oh yeah....we free dive mostly but yeah, diving into my 70s? I don't think it'll be a problem unless I can cancer or something first. Doc made it to 90 feet free diving in our Performance Free Diving course last June. ya man....Bring on the pups....haha.
Note the 35lb amber jack laying at my feet that Doc shot with no reel or floatline. He wrestled it in after it pulled him over the reef three times.

This 383648_2692860372411_1583599415_2455175_1412262744_n.jpg

I'm 62, I've not slowed down at all (at lest when it comes to diving) from when I was 16 (well ... at least in my own mind, but my mind sometimes makes appointments that my body can no longer keep as easily as it once did, and the difference between that claim and reality sometimes gets me into spots that I'd rather not be in).:D

I'm 62, I've not slowed down at all (at lest when it comes to diving) from when I was 16 (well ... at least in my own mind, but my mind sometimes makes appointments that my body can no longer keep as easily as it once did, and the difference between that claim and reality sometimes gets me into spots that I'd rather not be in).:D

Referencing to the mind/body thing... Little Feat said it best, "you know that you are over the hill, when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" That applies at any age I suspect.

Well to put it into perspective... I know a guy who's 78 years old and dives 2 times a week. He stopped during 6 months when he was 75 because had to have heart surgery (double bypass). Afterwards the dive-doctors prohibited him from doing serious dives... so he told his regular buddy (60 years old) that on their next holiday to the South of France they would do conservative dives... no deeper than 200 feet.

At the moment it's 15 degrees Fahrenheit... and the water is close to freezing in our local quarry but he will be diving 2 times this weekend with his old mistral 1 stage regulator (he uses it still since it's not prone to freezing).

An old dinosaur who started in the early 60's... but still going strong. I suspect the moment he stops diving, the grim reaper will be close behind his tail, because diving is his life.

Back
Top Bottom