Older Sealife Strobe with newer digital camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver1011

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can I use and older SL 960 strobe with a DC 500 camera? I am considering upgrading to a higher pixel camera but really don't want to replace my current strobe. Thanks in advance.

if you are going to upgrade - suggest you upgrade to a better system than Sealife. acting as a slave the 960 tends not to synch with pre-flash/flash and you get delay flash or none at all. I had a Sealife and upgraded to an Olympus for the $$ it was not much more and I now have a better system. Im not anti-Sealife but for the $$ better systems are out there that you can grow with and expand - Inon has a wet lens change adapter which is better than Sealife - (reason I chose Sealife to begin with as a starter unit)

Thanks. I have an older sealife now and it takes great pics but I was looking for one with more mega pixels. I'm strictly an occasional user. What model Olympus do you use? Can the pre flash be disabled on the 500? Really don't want to buy another strobe if I don't need to. Keeps the wife's b****ing to minimum.

I have the oly SP-350 8mp got it on line - w/housing it ran under 400.00. The strobe I just purchased a very early bd present was 3 x the camera/housing - The issue with the 960 seems to be underwater - above water the 960 flashed in snyc - however random and the recycle time is quite a long time - Also alot of backscatter - this you can always photoshop out later if not too much. The range is not that good - as with the Reefmaster camera - object is to get as close as possible for the best photo - under this scenario - it works o.k. just not for me.
I dont believe the RM digital 500/600 is worth the $$ especially if you will upgrade eventually. Gee if you upgrade - the wife wont have to worry what to buy you - add ons make great gifts - no more lame ties, or stuff you really dont want and hate to tell them....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom