oldsters trying scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Late 50s, eh? OMG, my age! Ever try snorkeling? Good practice for learning basic scuba, and the air you get from a tank is better than you get from the tube.

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:bandit_2: don

smiley-linie-011.gif

Welcome to scubaboard as well. I certified last August and am loving it. I am in my mid 50s. Just take your time and enjoy yourselves.

Willie

In your 50's and retired... you dog. :D

Yeah, the breathing. It's why instructors always teach their students what the "slow down/breath slower" sign is during the first pool class. It's that common.

Welcome to ScubaBoard! Keep us posted on your progress. I'm 47, so you can refer to me as, Sonny. eyebrow

started horseback riding at 49 and diving at 54. When I started, 6 months ago, I was very out of shape. I've lost 12lbs, and exersize now. I was inspired by having to carry the tanks!
I found practicing Yogic breathing, but through mouth, not nose, helped me with underwater breathing. Also just concentrating on relaxing underwater helped with breathing and bouancy. After the first few minutes I let my body take over, and my mind can focus on what I'm seeing/ experiencing.
It takes us middle agers a bit longer on the body stuff, but our mature, wise minds more than compensate in the long term.

I was inspired by having to carry the tanks!
:lol:​
I got all geared up the other day - sitting on my pickup tailgate - for my Deco class dives, but then had to walk maybe 100 feet to the water in a 7 mil jumpsuit on top of a 1 mil, beanie, 25# of lead, tank, semi-tech BC, 19 cf pony bottle, 2 lights, camera, etc - wondering "What does all this weigh? Maybe it's best if I don't know.

It takes us middle agers a bit longer on the body stuff, but our mature, wise minds more than compensate in the long term.
That's the story I use, too, and I'm sticking to it. :lol2:

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

"Oldsters?" I think not. I'm in my late 50's too and have been diving now for 46 years. It's never too late. I've known divers in their 70's and 80's who still enjoy the sport.

You'll get used to the breathing. Just relax and enjoy the new world you are entering. Of course it will help if you do some topside conditioning as well (IF that is an issue).

Thanks everyone for the "great" info. This breathing problem was a new experience for me. Incline benching 315 is respectful, but "panicking" when you can't breath while a 19Yr old girl next to you has no problem is "verrrrry humbling".
Thanks again guys. I will definately try the snorkel approach.

retired:
Thanks everyone for the "great" info. This breathing problem was a new experience for me. Incline benching 315 is respectful, but "panicking" when you can't breath while a 19Yr old girl next to you has no problem is "verrrrry humbling".
Thanks again guys. I will definately try the snorkel approach.
The breathing approach is totally different when exercising when you want to take in large amounts of air and quickly exhale. With Scuba, the breathing is kinda the opposite.

Wow Drbill....you beat my 42 years of diving! Are you the most experienced or are there others on the board that surpass your 46 years?

Joe

My dive iinstructor time surpasssed a fulll career with NASA!

I started diving at an older age, too. Scuba is the equal-opportunity sport. Just breath slowly and steadily. Practice breathing in the car at stop lights. It will become more natural the more you do it. Good luck in your class.

Back
Top Bottom