Olin, the dolphin from Noeba/Sinai was found dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

el-ninio

Contributor
Reaction score
Olin (or Holi or Holin), the dolphin from Noeba/Sinai was found dead on a beach near Noaba last week. Couse of death of the fate of her douter Mapsuta is unknown.

Olin was a 31 year old Red-Sea dolphin that has been interacting with humans in Noaba and Eilat (Israel) for about 15 years now. Many TV programs and several books have been written about her, and extensive reaserch has been done about her over the years. She had, single finlly, managed to bring much prosteraty to a small vilige near Noaba where she became a friend of a local deaf and dume bedowin kid. She would come to the beach near that vilige every day, and people would come form all round the world to swin and dive with her.

I have have the honer and plesure of meeting her some monthes ago in Eilat, and spend what has to be the best 30 minuts underwater in my 15 year dive carear with her. She will be missed greatly.

I also have to honour to meet her. She was so funny...
I'll miss her.
Mania

What a shame. If you hear more about her fate, please keep us posted.

Natural causes is a distinct possibility. 31 years is a pretty good age for a dolphin in the wild.

archman:
Natural causes is a distinct possibility. 31 years is a pretty good age for a dolphin in the wild.

sadly it seems this is not the case. it seems she was shot with an arrow.

From annalasis of the pictures, and from pictures of her daouter (which appeared in Eilat last weekedn, in a rather bad shape) it seems that Olin was shot to death by uw hanters. The Pictures show a clear entry woand.

May Neptune evenge her death.

On what basis do you make this claim. Did you see the body of the dolphin? If not, who reported it ? Is that person reliable ? Is that person particular to Nuweiba bango ?Where was it ? When was it ? If this really happened, how does one know that it was Oleen ? Was she wearing a name tag ? Was she carrying some ID ? ( maybe as that way the person reporting this story would know that she was 31 years old ). Was she identified by a member of her family ?

I did nt know Oleen was 31 years old and also lived at Eilat - or maybe she had a twin sister.

I hope you have your story right before printing such nonsense !

Oh and I forgot to mention... a dolphin, believed to be Oleen, has been spotted twice off Nuweiba Hilton in recent months, both times with two young dolphin and the last time being just two months ago !!!

swisssinai:
On what basis do you make this claim. Did you see the body of the dolphin? If not, who reported it ? Is that person reliable ? Is that person particular to Nuweiba bango ?Where was it ? When was it ? If this really happened, how does one know that it was Oleen ? Was she wearing a name tag ? Was she carrying some ID ? ( maybe as that way the person reporting this story would know that she was 31 years old ). Was she identified by a member of her family ?

I did nt know Oleen was 31 years old and also lived at Eilat - or maybe she had a twin sister.

I assume a local/regional news report was the basis for the posting. Can't find any online link to it though, for this animal or any other in the Red Sea this month. Something of this nature isn't typically reported in local resort news, however. Bad for business. Where did you see the photos you're referring to, el-ninio?

Swissinai, your remarks are unwarrantedly hostile to el-ninio, and not backed up. Neither you nor el-ninio posted links to verify your statements. And observations from a couple months back (which aren't cited) of this dolphin wouldn't matter, if it was killed more recently (as el-ninio states).

Argue in a more civil manner please. And if someone has an online link or printed excerpt of this animal's current status (dead or alive), would you please post it to the forum?

swisssinai:

The story is reliable. Olin and her daughter have been visiting Eilat quite frequently, making contact with Divers and Swimmers. Lots of people have met them in person (including me :) ), photographed them and can easily identify them on spot.

Nowadays the daugther, alone and wounded with several clean cuts, is spotted daily in front of the "Dolphin Reef" gates, probably looking for company of dolphins she is familiar with.
The mother's body has been identified from photographs, the photographer himself took the photos because he identified her, and anyone who saw the photos (including marine biologists who knew her very good) confirmed it is her.

In Israel there is a facility where autopsies are carried on every marine mammal that is found dead, but it is not possible to bring the body to Israel, so a team went to Sinai to see the body and try to reason the cause of death.

About this mother with two baby dolphins- it can't be Ulin, since she wasn't pregnant, and she lost her male baby a few months ago in Eilat, an event observed by lots of divers and marine biologists, as she carried the carcass for several days trying to keep it breathing. This was just a few months ago and since then she was seen only with he elder daughter.

About this mother with two baby dolphins- it can't be Ulin, since she wasn't pregnant, and she lost her male baby a few months ago in Eilat, an event observed by lots of divers and marine biologists, as she carried the carcass for several days trying to keep it breathing. This was just a few months ago and since then she was seen only with he elder daughter.[/QUOTE]

This link will take you to a picture of three dolphins swimming off the beach at Hilton Coral in Nuweiba in October. It was posted in the gallery of another webforum. The third dolphin is just visible on the left.
http://www.holiday-truth.com/gallery/Egypt/dolphin2_002
Chances are it's Ollin + daughter with another dolphin. Unless anyone can clearly see otherwise from being more familiar with these dolphins. Clearly not her offspring - far too big. I was hoping it was a young lone male when I saw the picture.

Anyone have more info on the actions leading to death/injury of these two magnificent creatures. I have my own photos of them from a wonderful day last August when we spent around 8-9 hours swimming with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom