Olin, the dolphin from Noeba/Sinai was found dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I helped rehab a stranded bottlenose estimated to be in his late '30's. That guy was BIG. The big cheeses thought late '30's was fairly old for the species, and it turns out he died of a heart attack a couple weeks after released back into the wild.

I am visting Egypt in may this year and was planning a vist to go and see Olin and her daughter.The news has really saddened me that she has been killed.I do hope that whoever is resposible will be made to realise the terrible thing they have done to a beautiful creature.Does anyne know how her daughter is getting on?

Was this interaction with divers normal? When we saw her she kept her distance. Was Ollin already sick when these photos were taken?

I dont think she was sick or injured at that time Alan, as Carrot2502 has got those lovely pictures of her and the daughter plus a third dolphin taken at Nuweiba Hilton on the 3rd November 2004 - quite possibly the last known pics of her alive.

My theory is that she and the daughter were injured in those ghastly nets that we saw pictures of ( between Eliat and Aqaba, I think - were they old underwater defense nets ?? ) and that Oleen tried to swim back to Maizena as she know she could find help there - but unfortunately she never made it all the way.

Just a nice romantic theory...

Anyway... what about the daughter ? Any news ?

Was she the dolphin who came by Nuweiba with her calf?
I don't remember her having spots.

Could anyone confirm?

I'm heartbroken. She's the only dolphin I encountered, and I didn't even dive back then.

I'd hate to have the conclusion that that's what you get what a Dolphin gets when they trust people.

I'm really angry and sad.

Istvan:
I don't remember her having spots.
I didn't think bottlenosed dolphins had spots, either. Is this a Mediterranean strain?

Back
Top Bottom