Oly 45mm F/1.8 for UW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone used this lens underwater? What results did you get? It looks like an interesting lens at a useful focal length, although I am aware it does not focus as close as the Panasonic 45mm.

Phil

I have the lens and intend to use it underwater, but haven't yet.
Will report once I do, but that will be over a month away.
I do intend to do some test shots in a pool before then if I get a chance.

I am assuming it will Zen, or maybe the flat port. Chris196, what port do you plan to use it with?

I have the Zen for the 9-18/14-42.
It fits fine and does not vignette above water.
the 45mm looks really small behind the zen and I was worried about vignetting, but doesn't seem to be a problem.
I may also try the original oly flat port, but would prefer to use the Zen so as not to have to change ports.

I have one of these lenses on order myself and think It will make a great portrait lens for fish in the medium to large range. At the minimum focus distance of around 1 1/2 feet the lens will render an image of about 10 times life-size or around 7 inches on the long side and around 5 inches on the short side. This lens should also be great for shallow depth of field images where you want to have the subject pop from the blurred background. All of the reviews I have seen for this lens indicate that it has excellent autofocus speed and image quality. I will post a few photos when I have an opportunity to use this Lens.

Phil Rudin

Hi Phil,
Minimum focusing distance of 1 1/2feet might be all right for you lucky people up near the equator but absolutely terrible for us poor folk down here in the sub-temperate zone where right now it's bloody freezing cold. . . . :confused: Down here, backscatter is never a small problem, it's a major issue!

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I agree that this lens is not for everyone and I think you would be much better served by a lens like the Panasonic 45 macro. However for those who already own the lens for above water work it could not hurt to try it out underwater as a portrait lens.

Phil Rudin

any update on this?

I would not recommend using any lens that has such a large minimum focus distance, there are better options out there. Just my opinion, some of you may not care to do close-ups. - Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom