Oly 45mm F/1.8 for UW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My guess is the Olympus 60mm macro will be announced in September, avail in October. But I don't have any special knowledge. - Scott

I did some pool testing with the 45mm f1.8. The results were not good.
Behind the Zen 100 port, it rarely achieves focus. Behind the original olympus flat port, it achieves focus but you have to back up to about 2 feet to achieve focus. That's about 6" more than on land. Nothing scientific about that, just my quick observations.
So, based on this not sure I'll even try it in the ocean.
That 45mm is really a great lens on land and so much sharper than the kit lens. Would have been nice if it worked.
I'll probably give it a try, but that also means changing the port and I was reminded how it's not a quick maneuver on the Oly housing.
I really love the ease of having the Zen dome on and changing between the 14-42 and the 9-18.

If I try it in the ocean, I'll report back, but don't hold your breath.

thanks for the update...waiting for my 9-18 to get here...found out after i ordered, they were out. had i known that, i would've bought one off of amazon.

Hi Chris,

Because a dome port creates a virtual image with a close focus range the problem with the ZEN 100 port is that the lens just does not focus close enough to be in the range of the virtual image. If you add a closeup lens like +2 to +4, to the lens it would likely focus better in a dome port. A flat port like your mask makes things like bigger underwater and as a result closer. You need to move back a bit to get to the close focus reproduction ratio that the lens allows. Closer focusing lenses like the Panasonic 45 macro as a result become the clear winner underwater. Same holds true for wide angle lenses. You can find several wide zooms that only focus to about fifteen inches and need to be used with a closeup lens behind a port. This is one of the many upsides to the 4/3 and M4/3 format, close focusing wide lenses.

Phil Rudin

Phil,
I have a set of dry diopters that I will try.
I thought about that too late and forgot to bring them to the pool with me.
I'll give it a go in the rinse tank on the boat and see if it works.
Will be nice if I can get it to work with the Zen dome.

I've included one of my favorite shots just because I like the fish.
Shot at the Flower Gardens in the Gulf with the epl2 14-42 behind Zen dome with single D2000.

Thanks for the info.
Chris

P7140466.jpg

Hello Chris,

Cool Cowfish in a color phase we don't see much on the east coast. Gulf diving looks great, I really need to make the drive for a few days when I have the time.

Phil udin

So, one final update on this.
I used the lens last week in the Bahamas. I tried a +1 and +2 diopter but couldn't get it to focus with the Zen port for the 9-18.
I then put on the original oly flat port and used a +1. These diopters are just cheap 37mm screw on dry diopters.
This worked ok. Focus was ok, not as fast and reliable as the 9-18. I was using spot focus.

Here's a few shots with it.
P7123599.jpgP7123690.jpgP7123633.jpgP7123693.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:14 AM ----------

and a couple more
the lobster is the only one not cropped P7113554.jpgP7123608.jpg

Thanks Chris, so that answers my original question. Seems its workable but not a first choice by the sounds of it.

Phil

Chris, did you use the diopters with your 9-18 behind the oly flat port as well?

No, I only used the 9-18 behind the Zen dome. Never really even crossed my mind to put the diopters on the 9-18, but then again, I'd need a different set. The 9-18 does not have 37mm threads, I forget the exact size.
The 9-18 is fairly wide and focuses relatively close, so can't imagine too many cases when I can't get close enough with it. You would have to be taking a picture of a completely static subject before focus distance became an issue.

Phil, I would say you have summarized my feelings on it.
If I don't get a dedicated macro lens, I'll keep in my bag as an option.
It can be handy for getting shots of skittish creatures where you need to stand off anyway.
I actually got a fairly nice blenny pic, but stupidly deleted it from the camera before I downloaded.
Moral of the story: don't drink wine and review pics on the camera before downloading.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom