OLY E-M1 New Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The new OLY E-M1 camera is out it seems. I have read the specs page but I can't discern any advantages for the E-M1 over the E-M5 other than a faster shutter speed and higher flash sync speed (1/320s) which are probably not much to get excited about for the U/W photographer. Can anyone tell if there are any other advantages for the E-M1 over the E-M5 for U/W photography? There isn't much for the diver who already owns an E-M5 to justify an upgrade but probably for the new buyer, they are better off getting the newer camera if this is their first OMD camera.

Any other thoughts please?

E-M1 16MP Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera - OM-D | Olympus

Last edited:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a new one! Just got used to the EM-5!

I think that they did it just to piss you off :)

The biggest upgrade (for us) is the Autofocus. The added Phase Detection which reviewers are saying has improved Autofocus. Continuos Focus (not my fav) has also improved. Faster shutter sync is nice for those who like to shoot over/unders and sun balls. The new processor is claimed to give you one more stop. Not radical changes but if I was faced with a choice between the EM1 and OMD it would need to be a big price savings to go with the OMD.

Still only 1/250 Sync Speed and still rubbish video bitrates...

Reminds me of my beloved E-1 from all those years ago... now that was a camera. Could be tempted....

The price difference isn't that big as far as I can tell. If I were starting new, I'd go with the EM1 just to have the most up to date camera with few "better" specs but nothing justifies drooling over it for somebody that already has the EM5.

I am able to get 1/320s sync speed from my EM5 no problem by using the electronic sync cord instead of fiber optic one.

---------- Post added September 10th, 2013 at 11:31 PM ----------

Here is the first review of the new camera with comparison to the EM5 I see:

Olympus E-M1 First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

Last edited:
The Oly housing for the EM-1 is said to be available in Europe by the end of December :)

After taking a few days to read the initial reviews and hype for this new camera these would be the upsides over the E-M5 I see so far for U/W photography. First let me say that I think the E-M5 is an excellent underwater camera and that the Nauticam NA-EM5 housing is one of the best values in the market for a quality camera/housing package.

So what do I see as the up sides for making the switch to the E-M1. First the viewfinder is one of the best in the market bar none and with features you just can not get with an OVF. It has a viewing area larger than just about any DSLR on the market except for the $6800.00 Canon EOS-1D, it is even larger than the $6000.00 Nikon D-4 according to reports. It now has excellent AF speed for both M43 and 43 lenses and much improved C-AF speed. Build quality including weather sealing is even better than in the E-M5. The addition of a wider array of control buttons which are more spread apart and a built in guilty grip will make the camera easier to use both above and below water, i.e. I can better access the controls of the E-M5 inside the housing than I can above water. Higher speed flash sync and lower ISO both needed to get those black backgrounds in macro and for using wider F/stops above water. For Burhan if you can get 1/320th now with hard wired strobes this camera should give you 1/500th. The sweet new 12-40 F/2.8, I have used the Panasonic 12-35 and prefer it to the 12-50mm zoom this new lens should be even better and a real winner as my prime travel lens with minimum focus of about 7" across the full zoom range. With my first 43 and M43 cameras I never shot above ISO-400. With the E-M5 I have expanded to ISO-640 and if the reports are correct I should be able to shoot ISO-800 more more and be happy with the results. With the removal of the low pass filter and the new processing engine image quality improvement and sharpness have been reported. This is the first high end Olympus release I can remember where the body only option rather than the "kit" option is coming first so that those of us who already have lenses and can live without the 12-40 can have the camera at first release. I like the one touch white balance button on the front of the camera, I used it all the time starting with my E-1. Built in HDR and a host of other features will also interest many.

Who do I see buying this camera, I think we will see an even greater number of converts from the DSLR ranks to this camera which already has an excellent lens set for U/W photography. For those who are still using the LCD to compose and focus I don't expect to see a large exodus from E-M5. For those like me who religiously use the viewfinder I would expect along with the other improvements to see several many making the switch. If you are using the 45 or 180 add-on viewfinders this camera should be amazing. Focus peaking has been added for stills and along with the large viewfinder critical focus should be greatly improved. Along with the Olympus housing and based on the great success of the Nauticam E-M5 housing I would expect that Nauticam is taking a very hard look at this camera.

Phil Rudin

Last edited:
Finaly a worthy candidate to upgrade my old E-520 with.

Any news on what port-mount the UW housing will have?
Is there any adapters to Olympus old threaded ports?

Going to Aussie in December, might be possible to pick up a housing in Singapore or KL...Having my doubts that I'll get it in Europe before I leave.

Back
Top Bottom