OLY EP-1 or 2 VS XZ1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MJSmith

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Could one of you guys in the know how compare and contrast these two new Olympus lines. I have the OLY Tough 8000. I was thinking about upgrading to the EP-2 maybe next year, but the new XZ-1 confused me.

The XZ-1 is a very nice point and shoot. Fast lens, great low light performance and ergonomics, however, like the Canon S95, still a point and shoot. Smaller sensor so picture quality won't be there like the mft e-pl1 and e-pl2 who use the same sensor as Oly's dSLRs. In addition, you can change lenses on the latter two cameras giving you flexibility to use the best lens for the situation.

Big differences between e-PL1 and e-PL2 are better lcd, silent focus and better 14-42 II kit lens, higher iso and some in camera artsy stuff, couple ergonomic things.

I've got an e-pl1, housing, zen port, kit and 7-14mm lenses.

You are getting a better lens in the XZ-1.

You can get better lenses for the E-Pl1 and E-Pl2, but it will cost you a good amount more money. Advantages of the E-PL1/PL2 interchangeable lenses and better high-ISO performance.

It's like comparing a motorcycle to a car. Very different price range and performance for a complete system.

You'll spend about $1000 for a system using the Point and Shoot, with strobe and tray. It sounds like a really nice setup for a small package, but it will have all the limitations of a Point and shoot, mainly slow shutter time compared to a DSLR (which the E-PL2 is not, but almost).

You'll spend about $2500 for a system using the E-PL2, with strobe and tray. Better images, bigger package, probably shorter shutter lag due to the fast focus of the 14-42 ii lens.

That's the quick summary. My gut feel is you should go with the XZ-1 since you are upgrading from a point and shoot. You'll get a lot better shots and won't have to deal with the cost and size of an E-PL2 system.

It's like comparing a motorcycle to a car. Very different price range and performance for a complete system.

You'll spend about $1000 for a system using the Point and Shoot, with strobe and tray. It sounds like a really nice setup for a small package, but it will have all the limitations of a Point and shoot, mainly slow shutter time compared to a DSLR (which the E-PL2 is not, but almost).

You'll spend about $2500 for a system using the E-PL2, with strobe and tray. Better images, bigger package, probably shorter shutter lag due to the fast focus of the 14-42 ii lens.

That's the quick summary. My gut feel is you should go with the XZ-1 since you are upgrading from a point and shoot. You'll get a lot better shots and won't have to deal with the cost and size of an E-PL2 system.
Where is the extra 1500.00 coming from? The E-PL2 is 100.00 more than the XZ1 and I would assume that the housing will be within 200.00 of the XZ1 housing.

..You'll spend about $1000 for a system using the Point and Shoot, with strobe and tray.....

You'll spend about $2500 for a system using the E-PL2, with strobe and tray. .
I too am interested in where you get your numbers.
The E-PL1 and XL-1 are about the same price.
The housing may be $200 less.. maybe..
Strobes, arms and trays should be the same.
Please elaborate..

Guys, I guessed future pricing on the E-PL2 and the rest of the system. List price of cam is $750, I assume the housing may be $600-700. A tray is $250. Zen dome is $500. Add a couple strobes at $1000. That's $3200+. Maybe you don't need the dome or second strobe, so maybe $2100-2700. These prices will decline over time maybe 10%, estimated. Make sense?

I paid a little less for the E-PL1. The cam was $500, housing $500, dome $500, tray $250, strobes were $600 each, focus light was $100. About $3000. The dome and second strobe were not necessary, but I like them for wide angle. I'm happy with this system. I may upgrade the lens to the 14-42 type II, but that's all. The sensor on the E-PL2 is the same and I can't convince myself the other improvements are worth the expense.

I'm just trying to give the relative values. A point and shoot system should cost a lot less. I think a guy moving up from the Oly 8000 would probably be happier with it, so much easier to use. Often when I travel I just grab my Canon S90 because it is way smaller and lighter. So that's where I'm coming from.

The 14-42 should be a bit better for video. I am curious if the wide angle and fisheye adapters for that lens will work behind the $500 zen port.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom