Olympus 3040Z Accessories Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee once bubbled...

I know there is a 512mg Compact Flash card but I wasn't aware of a 512 SmartMedia card. In fact I've been waiting for something larger than 128mg. Can you tell me where you got yours? Maybe a website?

Do you know if the new SDM cards can be used in cameras taking SM now?

Currently there are no 512mb SM cards, however the new SD cards do come in 512mb flavors. You can find a listing of types of SD cards on the following site:

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/sd/sd_explained.asp

SD media cannot be used in current SM cameras... as a matter of fact I believe that SM will not grow past 256mb in the near future.

BTW - here is where I buy my media:

http://www.supermediastore.com/

Also - instead of spending goobs of cash on large SM cards, just get the following:

http://www.kanguru.com/mediaxchange.html

...to regular SM users. And unless/until we upgrade, we're dependent on SM.

The Kangaroo media exchange is nice but when I only get to go on a dive trip a couple times a year, and don't have a use for it otherwise, that's alot of money to justify spending.

I think I'll stick to my extra cards and wait on that new laptop!

Dee,

I have checked around and the max an SM card can go for now is 128Mb. :(

I did buy a Kingston 128Mb SM Card for 45.00 along with a Simpletech FlashLink USB Reader/Writer for 17.00 plus shipping from buy.com
And......I also bought the Maha Battery Charger MH-C204F-1700 Powerex Kit with 4 1700 Nimh batteries and an extra set of four more from Thomas - Distributing (thanks for that link again, :) )

I hope to get the camera tomorrow and will be immediately familiarizing myself with it.

The spending has begun....

I just love helping folks spend their money! :eek:ut:

When you ordered your charger, were 1800 NiMH batteries not available? I have some 1600 instead of 1700 and they just don't hold a charge as long. I've quit using them except for around the house. That smart charger will help keep them conditioned...another thing you don't have to worry about!

There's rumors that 'they' are working on a NiMH 2000. The snag is finding a wrapping/skin that will withstand the heat.

I can't wait for some pictures. Post your first ones. We don't care if it's bugs in the yard, your dog, or even your keyboard as you test the macro!

Dee,

1700's were all I saw there.....:( Do you think the 1700's will suffer from the same problem as your 1600's?

Wow! 2000's?? Now that sounds like some serious batteries!

I promise to post my first pics. Can you suggest a hosting site? Any ETA or is that a "teaser" ad? :)

Thomas

You'll just have to be diligent about changing the batteries. As you get used to your camera, make note of how long the batteries last under different circumstances. Such as...with the monitor on all the time, with auto focus always on, etc. Then when you start using it underwater, you'll know whether to trust them to last through that second or third dive. It's just a matter of working with what you have.

Don't know when the NiMH 2000's will hit the market. I've been hearing that rumor for a while now so maybe that's all it is...rumor!

Free hosting sites are tricky. Most, if not all of them, won't let you link directly to a single picture. Only to an album. And recently some of them are requiring you to be a member before you can view any albums. This pumps up their member numbers for advertising!

I use one called ScubaShots but it's not going to be free. The owner is a fellow diver who was just as disgusted with hosting sites as we were and had took hte initiative to start his own. It's great! Several of us have been beta testing it for a while and I really like everything about it. It's going to cost $36 a year but that's peanuts as much as I use it. If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you Larry's email and he'll set you up so you can try it out.

Click on the photo link in my signature to see an example of what it looks like. You can design the albums with different colors, etc.

Dee once bubbled...
This is the first panoramic shots I've seen! Well, other than in the promotions. First by a 'normal' (subjective :wink:) person!

Tell me about shooting them. How many shots are stitched together? What resolution?

The only card I have that will do panoramic shots is a 16mg that came with the camera. How many could I get on it with decent resolution?

I'm excited to try this!

Hi Dee.....you just have to set the camera to panorama (one of the scroll down menus) that causes the view finder to superimposes lines (cross hairs ) for alignment of the subject and an overlap box on each side of the screen....that allows for the picture to mend itself when you use the camedia software. The pictures are marked so that you know they can be stitched.....or use them as single pictures. To make the panorama shot you just highlight all the marked pictures in a panorama series and click on stitch.......they are huge once stitched....something like 9000x1500......I think I had to shrink those pics down to about 5-7% of original size. I haven’t had these "developed" yet but I have seen some processed ......pretty neat!!!!

Those where shot in HQ mode(default) .....and as far as how much memory is used ....I'm not really sure as they are really just a normal picture......I guess they do use up a little more memory as the camera records them in a mode to facilitate stitching...

Those shots had five to six pictures stitched to get that result...

ZBOSS....if you haven’t already figured it out ....yep its an Olympus

Scott

Dee once bubbled...
...to regular SM users. And unless/until we upgrade, we're dependent on SM.

The Kangaroo media exchange is nice but when I only get to go on a dive trip a couple times a year, and don't have a use for it otherwise, that's alot of money to justify spending.

I think I'll stick to my extra cards and wait on that new laptop!

The media x-change can be had for around $250 and works as external storage (aka hard drive) as well as for media storage. Currently Super Media Store is selling a 128 MB SM card for $50... that means you could buy five 128 MB cards for a whopping storage capacity of 640 MB ... or for the same price get 10 or 20 GIGS of storage.

Dee,

Apparently, the camera package had a mistake in the shipping address and was sent back to the shipper. Luckily he's only 15-20 minutes from me. I probably should have just picked it up in person in the first place, <sigh> oh well. T;-0

I already got the battery charger, 128 Mb Smart Media Card and USB Card reader. Needless to say, I am very "anxious" to get the camera ASAP.

I'll get familiar with the camera over the weekend and will probably post a pic or two of my parakeets (grouchy and grumpy).

Note: not their real names, their names have been changed to protect the innocent. :wink:

Got my 2000 mh AA's from www.nexusamerica.com

They will easily give me two dives with everything on.......

Karl

BTW, good tip for keeping track of charged and used batteries..........I keep my batteries in plastic cases from The Container Store............I keep my batteries stored the way the were last used, ie: charged batteries come out of the charger all lined up........used batteries come out of the camera up and down......store them that way and you'll always now if they are fresh or not

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom