Olympus 5050 vs 5060 vs 8080

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MiniMe:
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I forgot to mention that I have a Sea & Sea wide conversion lens, which works very well with Ikelite housings. Are they mountable on the Olympus housings? (with or without an adapter).

I think in reality I will be choosing between 5050 + Olympus housing and 8080 + Ikelite housing. I'm leaning towards 8080 unless I hear a lot of alarming reviews from people who have used them.

ReyeR – how bad is ‘hunting’ for focus? Is there a noticeable difference in performance between 5050 and 8080?

Thanks
Sorry missed this one.

Which Sea and Sea wide conversion lens is it? The bayonet type MM one or the threaded 67mm screw on type. The bayonet one will not work on the PT-015, 020 or 023. The 67mm one will work on the PT-015 only.

Re: hunting - I don't have any test times but perceptually the 5060 and 8080 were a bit more responsive, but nothing that made me go WOW! The zoom of the 8080 is very responsive though.

ReyeR,

It’s the screw-on type lens. So either way it looks like I’m better off with Ikelite.

Thanks for your input.

I've not heard a lot of good things about the 8080 as well - I don't know that having 8 MP on the 8080 would produce significantly better results other than significantly larger file sizes. But as you know, I'm partial to the 5050 myself.... it rocks!

All three cameras are very nice cameras. The 5050 is tried and true. The 5060 had a lot of skeptics at first because the aperature range was smaller, but now underwater photographers are warming up to it. The 8080 is an unknown quantity in underwater circles as of yet because the very first housings have only been available for about 2 weeks so far.

If you'd like to see reviews of the cameras go to dpreview.com and check out their drop-down menu on the left side of the page, click on cameras and then Olympus. There are lots of owner reviews on all three cameras and the site does indepth reviews of the 5050 and 8080 models.

The 5050 does a very good job underwater from what's been posted on this and other boards, as does the 5060. The 8080 is getting killer reviews, winning most of the 8mp reviews I've found. If you use the same dpreview.com dropdown menu there is a link to their forums and they have an Olympus specific forum that is very busy. A lot of the Oly fans are picking up the 8080, many are actually medium to high end DSLR owners who say it performs extrememly well in comparison - except for action and low light shots, which I suspect they'd be making the same complaint if they were comparing a 5050 or 5060 to a DSLR.

Housings. The Ikelites are a housing you'd expect to use for years and apparently Ike has a very good reputation for service. The Oly housings are less expensive and only go to max recreational depths, but are very popular because of price and smaller size (at least for the 5050 and 5060 - the 8080 Ikelite may actually be a tad smaller than the Oly). The Oly housed 5050 and 5060 are still reasonably small packages to carry around when diving. The 8080 is going to be more substantial sized, maybe not up there with a DSLR but still bigger than the other two.

If you are thinking you don't want to go too much larger than 8X10 then think 5050 or 5060. If you want excellent 17X20 that'll hold up to scrutiny then maybe look at the 8080, although most people probably wouln't notice too much difference blowing up the 5 mp photos to the larger size.

I picked up an 8080 after reading a month or two of user comments on the above mentioned Oly forums. I wanted something for topside and something for below where I could blow things up large, or crop like mad and still get a printable 8X10. I'll end up having a bunch more $ into it (but nowhere near what a DSLR with a couple of lenses and ports would run) than I would with the 5 mp cameras, but I figure the camera will last me for a few years 'til I'm ready to make the jump to the big boy toys. The 5050 is very, very tempting... some for price but primarily for the ability to use wetmount lenses for a wide range of views/maginfications on a single dive.

I don't think you can really go worng with either of these 3 cameras. Your biggest choices will be on what size of a unit you want to be carrying around underwater and how large of photos you want to display.

Aloha,

Steve

friscuba:
All three cameras are very nice cameras. The 5050 is tried and true. The 5060 had a lot of skeptics at first because the aperature range was smaller, but now underwater photographers are warming up to it. The 8080 is an unknown quantity in underwater circles as of yet because the very first housings have only been available for about 2 weeks so far.

.......[snipped]
I don't think you can really go wrong with either of these 3 cameras. Your biggest choices will be on what size of a unit you want to be carrying around underwater and how large of photos you want to display.

Aloha,

Steve

I've used a Oly 5050 for almost a year now, including a fair number of underwater shots, using the Oly housing. The quality is great, especially for the price. However, I find the delay between pushing the shutter button and the actual taking of the exposure excrutiating.

I realize that there are ways around this, such as fixing the focus, but these can be awckward, especially on dives when there is alreay enough to think about. This delay in combination with the relatively weak flash and lack of any synch fitting on the housing, plus serious parallax problems with the visual finder, rather complicated user interface, limnited wide angle and zoom range and flimsy-feeling/ sounding lens and zoom action would steer me away from to 5050 if I were buying now.

On the other hand, the 8080 seems tyo be a much more substantial piece of equipment. I tried one in a Victoria BC shop, alongside the 5060 and 5050 (they were actually selling the 60 for a hundred less than the 5050 "because of the faster lens on the 5050", they said) and also the Canon, Nikon, Konica-Monolta Dimage and Sony 8 mp prosumer counterparts. While it felt bigger and heavier than the first three, the extra heft seemed to be in the lens and it excellent zoom action, as well as general build quality. The Sony, with its impressive f2, long zoom ratio Zeiss lens, was even bigger, but much less well-balanced and did not even "feel" as well made.

Oly's underwater housing for the 8080, OTH, appears to be something the junior engineers put together out of spare parts in a rush. It may work okay, but it sure is big, awckward and ugly.

DSLR's, even with their impressive price reductions, are another matter. I have to travel for most of my diving, and already have a Nikon F80 and lenses which I don't always bother to lug along. For diving, the size, cost and complexity of the housings, interchangeable lenses/ ports, big cradles and flashes involved are not really my idea of fun, especially after watching the adventures/misadventures of others with them. Maybe, if I get really rich and obsessed, I'll eventually spring for Kodak's 14mp version of the Nikon F80 DSLR. but likely not.

Of course, quality is important...but so is something you are likely to have with you, when a photo opportunity occurs. I find that I take twenty or thirty digital shots for every one I take on the Nikon, often simply because the camera is so easy to take along.

So I'll probably spring for the 8080 with the Ikelite housing, if I can get the cash together...and still curse the shutter delay. Hope that this helps,

:06: I too am torn between the 5050/5060. I compared the two at dpreview.com & they are basically the same. So, the question I have is about the accessories. The 5050 has a wider lens (35mm) than the 5060 (27mm) does. Can lenses be changed underwater for either camera? If so what brand? What about the macro differences in the two? Any experience on which camera is best for that? Is there additional macro lenses avail. that can be switched underwater? Can you use the LCD monitor in the case with either camera? What about strobe attachments for the PT 015 vs. PT 020? I have found very close prices for each camera & case.

Rhonda

bubble blower:
Here's the Nikon D70 body for $769.00
http://royalcamera.com/d70digslrcam.html

Here it is for $867.18
http://www.infinitycameras.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=4823

Here it is for $729.00 (no lens) or $869 with a 18-70mm lens.
http://www.amphotoworld.com/product.asp?id=nkd70&l=Pricehead

bubble blower

i wouldnt walk from those retailers i would run'

just look them up on www.resellerratings.com because those are scam artist shops to the highest degree, they would never sell you the camera at that price unless you bought overpriced accessories.

FWIW

They weren't at the same place but thanks for the website. I'll use it.

Rhonda

firefly

i have done enough research online and the funny thing is that most of these scam shops are closely associated with one another one location many names online, but if ever in doubt ask here or check with reseller ratings they will tell the legit dealers from the cons.

two reputable dealers are
www.bhphotovideo.com
www.adorama.com

these are the only shops out of new york city or brooklyn that can be trusted

FWIW

tooth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom