Olympus C-5050 Storage cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski

Contributor
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question: it seems that C-5050 takes both CompactFlash and xD cards... Does this mean that you can actually put both cards at the same time and thus double the storage? How does it work if you have two cards inserted?

Also, it seems that xD cards supposed to be "faster" than CF cards, but some reviews on the web showd that CF were faster... any comments on that? Also, Microdrive cards - are they really slow? should I get 1GB CF or Microdrive? prices are not so bad on eBay.

Thanks,
Vadim

1) yes, you can load both cards
2) you can switch between those 2 cards via a botton on the mid lower back labelled xD/CF.SM (the PT15 housing you can do this uw as well. not sure about other housings)

Yes...you can have a CF and a xD, or a CF and a SM, or a microdrive and a xD, or a microdrive and a SM att the same time. In other words the CF and microdrive fit in the same slot and the CF and xD fit in the same slot. Obviously you can't have two things in th same slot at the same time. The most common combo I've seen used is the xD and CF together. That's what I use. A 32mb xd card that came with the camera and a 256mg CF card. My xD card is lots faster than the CF but I suspect it's because of the difference in card size.

There is a button below and to the right of the LCD monitor that you simply push to switch from one card to another.

I know nothing about microdrives other than the same things you've read.

VT

yes you can use both slots (like dee said theres a button to switch) to hold media , but unfortuantely XD is not faster then CF, matter of fact it is slower(no more then about 8x) because of the way memory is stacked and controlled. currrently there are CF cards that have a speed rating of 60x+ which i have 2 of them , but there not cheap.

if your looking for good quality highspeed memory go to mydigitaldiscount (add the normal web stuff) and then under the media section and compact flash choose the ridata brand and you will get some of the highest quality CF cards on the market.

YMMV
Dan

the "factory" XD card and a 1GB Ridata CF card in mine.

The Ridata is SMOKING fast. Faster than the camera can read/write by far.

I use a 1GB CF card and a 128mb SM card. Almost tempted to get a microdrive as at least in SE Asia, I started to see some 2.2GB microdrives which costs about the same as 1GB CF card but I guess I still am worry about power consumption, speed and fragility/reliability of microdrive.

First picture with my new Oly 5050... no, not wet yet, that's a shot of my girflriend's fish tank.

oh, by the way, it took me a while to find a shop in New York that has the camera in stock.. I finnaly got it from J&R... still looking for a housing.. I think I will wait until I go to DEMA, who knows maybe I can get a discounted housing directly from them... which is usually not easy since they don't like to sell anything directly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom