Olympus C5000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't realize the Tetra didn't allow you to turn the camera on and off.

about the on/off button (or lack there of ) on the Tetra

Guess there is such little power consumption in "standby" that it wouldn’t matter. The motor that drives the lens in and out on “power up” and “power down” probably eats up more battery than the camera sitting in “standby” on say a surface interval.....But I know what Dee means .... It would seem strange not to be able to turn the camera off.

This past weekend I tried my new c5050 and did not change the batteries (2200 mAh NiMH) just to see how long the batteries would last. I also forgot to turn off the camera a couple of times after the dive so it was on for at least an extra 3 hours more than my bottom time and I did not turn off LCD monitor religiously to save batteries either. I took a little over 100 pictures in RAW (no internal flash though since I was using sync cord with my Ikelite housing/strobe, I assume slave mode would use a bit more power but not sure by how much). Basically by the last dive of the day (4th, night dive) the low battery sign came on but I still have power during the whole dive.

Basically by the last dive of the day (4th, night dive) the low battery sign came on but I still have power during the whole dive.
Don't you just luv this camera :D

ReyeR once bubbled...

Don't you just luv this camera :D

Yep, I think my quest for a setup that I won't have to open the housing for an entire day is getting very close :)
Now only if I can afford a 2 GB CF card and there is a 2500-2700 mAh batteries:wink:

ssra30 once bubbled...
. ............ the low battery sign came on but I still have power during the whole dive.

I wonder if the 2200 mAh have extra "kick" in reserve ??

Unfortunately when I get the battery low signal .... its close to curtains for me :( (1800 mAh)

good info ssra.....I'll need to look into it!!!

Finesse once bubbled...

I wonder if the 2200 mAh have extra "kick" in reserve ??

Unfortunately when I get the battery low signal .... its close to curtains for me :( (1800 mAh)

good info ssra.....I'll need to look into it!!!

I am not sure about extra reserve. I did noticed that with my old C4040, once the low battery warning came on, there is not much left even with the same 2200 mAh batteries. The C5050 seems to give warning a bit sooner. btw the last dive was only a 30 minutes dive and I did not take a whole bunch of pictures, may be only 10-15 pics so it probably does not count as a full dive.

I still dont think I get that much time ...seems the warning comes on and it shuts down quickly..... but I've never run into that problem U/W ( never had the battery warning come on)

I'll pay more attention to it next time ..... hope its not my camera :rolleyes: I dont recall what the good old 3040 did....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom