Olympus C5000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReyeR …Thanks for the info

I seriously doubt that Olympus has even received complaints about the rapid loss of power after that light / battery icon show up….Its just annoying to loss power so quickly. Just hearing that some get decent time thereafter makes me wonder. Wish it was like our camcorder which tells you in minuets how much time is left …..that’s not asking to much J …..

I wouldn’t send the camera in unless there were some very useful upgrades in the newer firmware…..The camera (knock wood) is performing flawlessly for me and generating excellent images ….. so I don’t want to screw that up……

But It still leads to the question of why some are getting much better time after the indicators show up…..As you said about the lithium battery I too would assume the drop of in power of that cell is much more gradual and stable than with these nimh cells ….. just think how much better a recondition cell works over one that has been discharged many times

I second Ted’s comment…..curious if there are “visible differences” …..tell us what you “see”

Thanks

Ok ….I’ve got the skinny on these firmware upgrades….No reason for me to get the up grade ….. I’m happy with what I have !!

Basically there were some comments ….. some felt the images were a little “soft” or “cool” … basically a personal interpretation of the image…. Similar to what Ted mentioned ….. It sounds like this was the 78 upgrade. The 79 upgrade allows the use of a software kit that enables a computer hooked to the camera to control it …. You control the camera from the computer and you see in real-time on the computer screen what you are taking an image of ……pretty cool … but what do I need that for

The whole battery thing ….. nothing to do with the firmware …..
I was told that when the “half battery image” shows up you can continue to get a few more pictures …. BUT the amount depends on variables such as AF, LCD screen use, zoom use, flash etc….
Once the camera starts blinking the icon (half battery image) ….you have very limited time till its dead….as far as which batteries you use ….. how I understood it, it will not affect this …. You will just get a longer run time with higher mAh rated batteries

The 79 upgrade allows the use of a software kit that enables a computer hooked to the camera to control it
Actually, I could use the camera control with my camera which had version 77. It's interesting when you find the 'secret' menu on the camera.

Finesse once bubbled...

The whole battery thing ….. nothing to do with the firmware …..
I was told that when the “half battery image” shows up you can continue to get a few more pictures …. BUT the amount depends on variables such as AF, LCD screen use, zoom use, flash etc….
Once the camera starts blinking the icon (half battery image) ….you have very limited time till its dead….as far as which batteries you use ….. how I understood it, it will not affect this …. You will just get a longer run time with higher mAh rated batteries

That make sense. I guess I did have quite a bit more time in part due to the fact that I have the internal flash turned off completely since I used teh sync cord.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom