Olympus C5050 or Sony P100 Anyone comment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterNut

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a new diver and semi-knowledgeable about photography, which is to say I know what an f stop is and shutter speed. I'm considering the Sony P100 vs. Olympus C-5050 as a new purchase for underwater photography but don't really know - does anyone have experience with these and can comment?

BarryTO:
I'm a new diver and semi-knowledgeable about photography, which is to say I know what an f stop is and shutter speed. I'm considering the Sony P100 vs. Olympus C-5050 as a new purchase for underwater photography but don't really know - does anyone have experience with these and can comment?

I bought the Oly C5050 because it's so popular here on the board. Loads of support :wink: I got the cam for $400.00 and the case for $160.00 so it was within my budget at the time. It's got loads of features and control. Takes pretty good pics from 0 - 3 feet with built in flash. So far I'm very happy with it. PM me with any specific questions. Don't know anything about the Sony.

What an interesting question. I own a Sony and love it but in all honesty can not recommend it over a Olympus. The Olympus will give you better UW pictures out of the box. Two reasons, the Olympus has manual controls (which work better UW) and the Sonys shift the colors UW towards the green. Now having said that, if the camera size is critical to you and you are willing to spend some time learning Photoshop the Sony's may be better.

Not saying my next camera will be an Olympus (no cults for me). I still want to be a diver that takes pictures not a photographer that dives.

Does anyone have any pics up taken with a Sony that I could view? I think I've seen many Olympus pics and would like to compare

In my gallery are a bunch from Bonaire.

Here's a link to some cold water shots.

Cold Water Shots

All taken with a Sony DSC-P5, internal flash and corrected in Photoshop.

My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a camera. Until I read the post from Cecil I had no idea that you might have to correct the pictures.

We are also thinking of the C5050 or C5060. My main concern is that it will flood and get ruined.

The cameras and housings are all pretty reasonable. It is the darn strobes that are spendy.

DrDuktayp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom