Olympus Evolt e510 housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcguru

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just purchased a evolt E-510 and was wondering if anyone has come across underwater housings for it? I see Ikelite has a housing for the E-500 but nothing for the 510.
Anything in the works?

gcguru:

Unfortunately I've read here and elsewhere that Olympus will NOT be housing the E-510. They did house the E-410. I guess they figured that not that many would be stepping up to the 510 for underwater applications. Ikelite doesn't house either the 410 or 510, nor have I seen anyone else do it. I bought a 330, in part because of this factor (Ike does have a housing for the 330).

OK, just read a bit ago on Wetpixel that UK-Germany (aka AQUAMIR) will be doing a housing for the e-510. But as I still can't find anything on their website about the housing for the e-330 they also have, I bet it might be hard to get info on it. Not to mention their one distributor listed for the US/Canada just points you right back to the mfgr's website.

Thats correct, I think the technology is changing so fast that Olympus is taking a wait and see before the next camera change. The E-330 was easy because the housing was modeled off of the E-300 line.

On a positive note the prices of Olypmus housings, for their DSLRs, will be falling like a rock due to their use of a more economical "point and shoot" type housings (120ft depth rating vs a 180ft rating of the E-330):

http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/olympus-e-410-dslr-and-pt-e03-underwater-housing/

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_PT-E03.htm

I hear that this housing is priced in the $500 range...for a DSLR housing! This camera/housing setup maybe the transition factor between the point and shoot users into DSLRs U/W. Even if you already have a DSLR its still much cheaper to go with the Olympus 410/housing setup than to house ($2500-4000 for the housing and ports) a DSLR.

Plus the fact that there is still "live view" on the E-410, which cuts out the need for the expensive U/W magnifiers, we see in the other DSLRs.

The 410 "live view" is not effectively usable underwater without the same type of shutter delay you get on a PnS. Ditto the e510. So an optical viewfinder is still highly necessary in either case.

Cheapest I've seen the PT-E03 is about $690, sans port as with pretty much all other dSLR housings, and sans handles/tray unlike many others. At $1100 for the e-330 housing (by comparison) with at least a flat port and the handle/tray assembly built in, the Fantasea is still effectively about the same price. Ike is certainly higher at $1300ish for the e-330 but that's with handles and TTL included, so it all balances.

Not knocking Oly's offering at all: but it's more on par with the market than hugely cheaper.

We tried to establish a distributor relationship with UK Germany, but they weren't able to meet the demand a new market require. This makes me a bit nervous about parts and support...

Ikelite will house the e510 as well.

yeah, at the time of my posting, they didn't. Glad to see they do now, I always feel like Oly gets the short end of the stick in terms of UW photo awareness. Not that I'm a fanboi or anything...just enamored of my first ever dSLR purchase. :)

HI , I've got one Ikelite housing for my E-510 , i think i am the only one !

works great ...no complaint at all except the 8 inches dome is easy to remove
at surface in rough water ... i have lost it in bonaire last month but LUCKY enough
to save my camera ... but all ikelite slr housing have same i would'nt say problem but...

You're not off the hook that easy...need some pics!!! Also since you're the lucky first person do a small write up of the likes and dislikes of both the housing and camera underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom