Olympus PT-050 housing in stock, macro lens tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BluewaterPhoto

Bluewater Photo & Travel
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We received our PT-050 housings today.

I did some tests briefly in the pool just now. Wow, this is quite a nice housing for the money. The controls worked very well, and changing anything I needed to change was very intuitive. Well done Olympus! Some lucky customers will be receiving them this week :)

I also did some quick preliminary wet lens tests, I'll post the results shortly. I got some great results with the Dyron 67mm dual-element macro lens, without it in "macro" mode (which allows the flash) I could take as small as photos 3.25 inches wide. With the lens screwed on, I could take photos 1 inch wide, and still had some working room for using the internal flash or strobe.

Scott

I did some tests briefly in the pool just now. Wow, this is quite a nice housing for the money. The controls worked very well, and changing anything I needed to change was very intuitive. Well done Olympus! Some lucky customers will be receiving them this week :)

I also did some quick preliminary wet lens tests, I'll post the results shortly. I got some great results with the Dyron 67mm dual-element macro lens, without it in "macro" mode (which allows the flash) I could take as small as photos 3.25 inches wide. With the lens screwed on, I could take photos 1 inch wide, and still had some working room for using the internal flash or strobe.

Scott

And I will (hopefully) be shooting some underwater pics with the Inon UCL 165 close up lens and the Inon UWL 100 this Thursday evening......

Hey Scott, great news!!

Is my baby ready to be picked up yet?
:uwphotographer:

:bananalama::monkeydance::bananalama::monkeydance:

Scott

And I will (hopefully) be shooting some underwater pics with the Inon UCL 165 close up lens and the Inon UWL 100 this Thursday evening......

Anxiously awaiting those results!!! :)

hey guys
check out deepshots review of it.

they conclude that it was a "Good camera but half baked housing limits the use of this diving package for macro only."

they stated that the port was too long for a wide angle lens.
therefore the image will be distorted.

check out the review REVIEW: OLYMPUS XZ-1 CAMERA AND PT-050 HOUSING | Deepshots
and share your thoughts.

Here are some initial wet lens tests.. I found some wide-angle lenses not be useable because of distortion introduced due to the distance from the lens.

The fisheye lens I tried did not appear to have this problem, but I am going to retest the fisheye today.

Scott

I'm new to wet lenses usage and wonder if it is possible to take off and on the wet lenses when underwater?

Here is my kit and a couple of pics from my first time out with the camera/housing.
The housing is great and all buttons are easy to manipulate, even while wearing drygloves.
I can't figure out why they designed the window for the on board flash with no way to black it out. The pics of the pre production housing showed the window covered.
Someone posted earlier that TTL is not available in manual when using the YS01 strobes but that is a myth. All of the pics that I shot were in manual and TTL on my YS01's and exposures appeared to be accurate.
I only have a couple of pics to post since there is not much life in the Puget Sound in March and I will post more pics over the coming weeks.

Attachments

• P3170087.jpg
    P3170087.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 258
  • P3170069.jpg
    P3170069.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 234
  • P3190121.JPG
    P3190121.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 323
hey Ron

Stubby squid and shagged carpet nudie - very nice! Glad to see you got to use the housing already. Thanks for the report.

It's only with Canon compacts that there is no TTL in manual model.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom