Olympus Stylus Tough 8000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtamborra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

Here's my review of the Olympus Tough 8000 along with pics I took with it in Cozumel last month:

Olympus Stylus Underwater Digital Camera

The below shot was taken with this camera as well

draft_lens7558892module63131072photo_1_1255549308P9140581.JPG

Oh, this camera is on my Christmas list...thanks for posting!

As a note, the PT-045 housing for this camera is discontinued. There are very few around...if you want one and can find it, I'd buy it right away.

Jack

As a note, the PT-045 housing for this camera is discontinued. There are very few around...if you want one and can find it, I'd buy it right away.

Jack

REALLY!!!
I bought a stylus tough 8000 a few months ago, along with a PT-045 housing.
Now, you tell us the housing is discontinued!!!!!
Will there be a replacement/ substitute housing, or are the people that bought the camera/housing SOL if they need a replacement?
Thanks,
Mike

SOL, but you have a years warranty, and orings are plentiful.

Jack

Hey Jack,

Can you shed some light as to why that housing is discontinued already ? That camera and housing are not even a year old. How about the the Stylus 6000 & PT-047 ?

Olympus always makes limited runs of their housings. Some sell out quickly, for some, stock lasts. The last couple of years they've been quite limited. Actually they came out with slightly changed models in Sept, but made NO housings for them at all.

New cameras and housings will probably be out at PMA.

The PT-045 has been quite popular, so its selling out.

No promises on the PT-047/T-6000, no problems yet, but I would expect that the same thing will happen. With Olympus I always advise people to buy the set when you get the camera to be sure.

Ikelite does make housings for them as an alternative.

That being said, I have 15 PT-045s in stock, going, going...

Jack

Hi Jack,

I have the MJ 8000 with the housing, does the housing need to be serviced as part of the warranty or can i just follow the instructions for general maintenance? Also what options do I have for red lens filter/ strobes to attach to the PT 045.

Great all round UW camera btw, particularly good for macro, not so good on the topside.

No, there's no service included in the warranty for the housing. keeping it clean and rinsed is all that it really needs. Changing the oring every so often is the best insurance.

Yes, there is a new solution for a red filter...use a 55mm red filter with a 52-55 step down ring. I have them in stock at a discount!

Thanks,
Jack

Question for the OP if he happens to see this: In the picture of that angel fish, did you use photoshop or any other software to remove the color cast that may have been present? I have the Olympus SW 1030 and while I love it, it doesn't filter the blues and greens out by itself and I have to manually do so afterward. I was wondering if that was the case for the new versions of the camera or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom