Olympus Stylus Tough 8000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The housing doesn't block the flash, there is a window for it. Good luck finding an Oly Housing, as far as I know I had the last few in the US.

I have several lighting packages available. Probably the ones with the Remora flash or Sea & Sea YS 27DX are what I would recommend. You can mix and match whatever tray and arms and strobes you like, just let me know if you don't see the combo you like.

Ikelite does have a nice T-8000 housing available, if there's interest I'll bring in a few.

Ike-tough8000front.jpg

Jack

Jack,

Thank you for the fast response. Now the 64k question....

Which is the 'better' housing, the Oly PT housing or the Ikelite housing for this camera? I would like one that would 'expand' as my interest in u/w photography grows; ie, right now I just want a good housing, but I also want it to be able to mount to a tray, add a flash, etc, down the road....

I am discovering now that even in my shallow depth pics, I am getting alot of 'blacksplash' or spatter from the camera flash and would like to first get a good housing, then add a flash..

Scootersouthflorida,
I have the 8000 wit the Ikelite housing. Ike is rated deeper than Oly- 200' vs 100'(I believe), both offer ext flash, tray etc but the grapevine said Ike is better. I think both are good but the Ike was the same price as Oly.

I have a Stylus 1030 SW and had to get my Olympus Housing from Japan via E-Bay. I use it in conjunction with a the Sealife Digital Strobe that I bought when I had the Olympus C-5000 and PT-019 Housing. The strobe has worked great with both housings and the fiberoptic cable. I use black tape to cover the camera flash to prevent backscatter. I also have had good luck with the color correction in the UW shooting modes in the camera menu.

I like the black tape to cover the camera flash method -- assuuming you have the strobe.

They both are nice housings. The Ike is rated to 200' and haas beefier controls. The Oly's were set up for an external flash from the box.

But the question is moot, unless you find a used one, there are no PT-045 Oly housings available.

Jack

Jack what are the best options for strobes that will fit the PT045? I hear the Inon 2000 fit and also there is an Ikelite option. What are add ons are needed for the conversion - also what fibre optic options ?

Jack what are the best options for strobes that will fit the PT045? I hear the Inon 2000 fit and also there is an Ikelite option. What are add ons are needed for the conversion - also what fibre optic options ?

Almost any strobe will work.

Strobes I like are Sea & Sea YS110a, YS27Dx, Fanatsea Remora, Ultramax UDXS in about that order. Sea & Sea will have a new strobe the YS-01 out sometime in January that will compete with the D2000.

I'm not in love with the Ikelite options of the controller/DS-51 as it is awkward to mount, or the AF35 as it is quite underpowered. I wish they'd come into the 21st century and have a fiber optic slave strobe.

There are no add-ons really necessary for the PT-045. I always recommend some sort of focus light. A f/o sync cord will depend on the strobe, for instance the S&S strobes have a plug; the same plug is used by Olympus, on the black plate for the housing. If you're using the Ike housing you'd use a velcro attachment, with the easiest option to black out the front of the case with black electrical tape. The Ike flash blocker will get lost in the 1st or second dive in my experience ;-).

I have lots of lighting packages available with trays, handles, arms, strobe, focus light and sync cords.

Might end up looking like this:
Mod_Tray+YS27.Oly.1.jpg

Although that focus light isn't available.

Jack

I haven't used a focus light before, but I would think it makes a lot of sense. Is it a glorified flash light that you turn on and off when needed or do you keep it on all the time? Does it come with an attachment to the hot shoe area or is that separate? What are the price ranges ?

BTW--nice looking tray. I like the strobe handle. What brand is it?

hi jack

was wondering do u know what is best wide angle lens for use pt 048 housing? considering the fisheye fix uwl-04. only thing i am thinking is it mounted to my housing would it interfere with fibre optic connection? my fibre optic cable to strobe attachs on front of housing window

please help

mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom