Olympus TG4 Underwater macro mode vs. microscope mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
About to buy this camera and was wondering.

Underwater macro mode vs Microscope mode.

I have an external flash and video light. Not sure which will work better for macro in the hands of a beginner.

The TG-4 will not fire a strobe in microscope mode, it uses it's LED light. Won't work inside a housing, although Kraken will have a new external ring light that should work great with it.

So macro mode with an external flash.

The TG-4 will not fire a strobe in microscope mode, it uses it's LED light. Won't work inside a housing, although Kraken will have a new external ring light that should work great with it.

So macro mode with an external flash.

How about using a video light in lieu of the flash for macro ? Does that work well ?

This was taken with TG4 in microscope mode with a strobe. I have the Olympus housing and Olympus strobe.
P1310546.JPG

Yes,but you'll need I fiber optic cable from the housing to the strobe.

Cool. Do you prefer microscope mode over underwater macro mode ? Or just change modes depending on the subject >

I have strobes and cables for my other system. The Olympus will be for my wife. She can use my strobe because I mainly shoot video.

Cannot find the Olympus housing in stock anywhere. Will probably go with Ikelite. I hear they recently upgraded the housing to have better ergonomics with the controls.

I shoot both, but in microscope mode the camera automatically sets the ISO at either 800 or 1200. That makes the images slightly grainy if you want to enlarge them. I manually set it to 100.

B&H photo has Olympus housings in stock for the TG3 / TG4. It's the same housing

B&H photo has Olympus housings in stock for the TG3 / TG4. It's the same housing

No they're out of stock, like everyone else for at least a month. We have the Ikelite TG-4 housing that works well for the same price.
I guess I meant Super Microscope mode, that only uses the LED. With just the camera and ringlight attachment you can do some cool stuff.

20231204863_663282abcd_z.jpg

20665445909_900cd563a4_z.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom