Olympus - why so popular?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with you all in the fact that the Olympus cameras have great low light capability as well as color rendition. A friend of mine has a Nikon Coolpix 5000. Ican't see much difference between the pictures he takes compared to my C-3020. The biggest difference for me was the price for the amount of quality you get with an Olympus digital camera.

I have taken several hundred pictures with mine since I bought last year and I am completely satisfied with the quality of picture,color, and ease of use.

I did the same thing that you are doing now. When I was thinking of buying one I did most of my reasearch on this board and found lots of information about most of the digital cameras here from people who had them. Their experiences were valuable to me when I bought mine because it helped me see the pros and cons of each camera set-up.

Hope the Helps

Wreck Ranger

FWIW, i've noticed a trend that i will generalize for you.

scuba divers love olympus. on this BB, and any other scuba BB, everyone creams over oly. well, for me, my camera will be used less than 5% off the time in an UW situation, so i basically ignored the divers preference :)

professionals love canon - and for good reason. their SLR line will currently blow away photos from other cameras. i can't afford those cameras, so i keep searching.

reef keepers love nikon. just like scuba boards cream over oly, reef kepers do the same over nikon. nikon is coveted for their macro shots. simply put, out of the box, nobody compares to nikon and their macro capability. sure, you can add-on lenses to other cameras to make them comparable, but you can also add on additional lenses to nikon to again blow away the competition. for me, 90% of my photogrpahy is macro and aquarium related. made my choice easy.

HTH

henry

are the main reasons I purchased the Oly 5050 for my wife along with the PT-015 housing. With 5 megapixels the quality is second to none IMO as far as digital goes. I feel it is comparable to the quality produced with my Contax 159MM using Tamron and Zeiss lenses as long as you don't enlarge past 8x10. I find I almost never drag out my Contax unless I'm wanting to use a long lense or want the faster focus or shutter response I can produce manually. Just my .02 worth.:D

- C5050 users

Do you experience any chromatic abberation as reported in DPReview.com? I have the CP995 and taking a photo of my reef tank sometime reveal a very bad chromatic abboration. I'd like to avoid that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom