OMG, OMG, OMG!!! Halcyon wings now come in colors!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or is black just the absence of color...

Racism?

One hting about black is you don't have to worry about it "clashing" with other colors. You also have an easier time selling it, both as a retailer and as an end user selling used gear. Plus, to me, colors get old after a while. I'll love a blue wing, then get sick of blue and want red, then green then yellow, then camo, etc. Black is always easy. Having said that, I just bought a Hog wing with the big, red stripe on it.

Is that a real question about my post?

Everyone needs amber gear (or perhaps red)! I remember studying human perception of color in a laser design class back in college. That's the easiest color for humans to see. I dug up a chart that describes it:

eye_cones.jpg'

Amber is at the crossing point where the color is detected by both red and green cones, so the fewest photons will be necessary to "see" it. I remember some detail the professor went into about why red cars get more tickets. Something along the lines of red is a difficult color to see for humans. Only slightly, the brain has to function more to make it out so red gets your attention. Since red gets more attention in traffic, cops notice the fast moving red car more readily.

Black though.. that's not even a color, but a shade detected by the rods. I've no idea how it plays into that line of thinking.

Or.. that's my recollection of something discussed in a college class. What's more it's otherwise unused information I had tucked away so I'm probably forgetting a lot of details.

Either way, it seems like a silly discussion. Pretty sure Halycon still sells black wings, so those that like all black can get all black, right?

Furthermore, Yosemitebear probably approves heartily of the new color choices:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI

Everyone needs amber gear (or perhaps red)! I remember studying human perception of color in a laser design class back in college. That's the easiest color for humans to see. I dug up a chart that describes it:…

Trouble is red, amber, and orange basically turns an ugly black at any significant depth unless you shine a light on it.

I did ask the crew at our local Coast Guard station what was the best color for them to spot at sea. All of them said International Orange… which happens to be the dominant color of the Coast Guard logo.

My unscientific observations make me think that white or a polished stainless steel color is the best color in deep water. Oddly enough, blue is actually pretty good outside of the tropics. Any color choice pales in comparison to a flashing strobe though.

I don't know what the big deal is over an air bladder. Oxycheq has sold theirs in colors and camo for years. Everyone subs out fabrication of the bladder and (except for HOG) use the same cheap plastic inflator.

Did you mean $$$$$$, unthinkable 10yrs ago.
I never understand why the choice of colour has anything to do with scuba equipment.
To me "All Black" represent NZ in Rugby Union Football.

They are the "All Blacks":wink:

Also so worn by our Netball and Hockey teams.

But interestingly our soccer team is the "All Whites".

...are you Batman? You ARE Batman, aren't you!!??

I think one confession in this thread was more than sufficient.

I'm subtracting points for the blue wing, but giving them back and then some for the DSS OPV :) That H spends so much effort on the wing and still sells them with those :censored:ty generic OPVs when Tobin has clearly produced a superior design is both sad and amusing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom