OMS 32 LB Wing or Oxycheq Mach V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carolrose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to be buying a BP/W setup for singles this week. My LDS sells OMS gear and has a nice red OMS 32 LB singles wing in stock. One of my dive buddys has the Oxycheq wing, which is just amazingly streamlined, and I've been eyeing it jealously for a while. All things being equal, I'd lean towards supporting my dive shop because they are great guys, and I'm taking a class with them right now which is what turned me on to wanting the whole setup in the first place. The question is, are these wings relatively equal? How does the OMS wing compare to the Oxycheq in terms of quality, and more importantly streamlined-ness?

They're both fine wings. I'd prefer the Oxy, but really, you won't notice a difference in the water. Seriously don't spend much time thinking about this, either wing will make you happy. If you want to support the shop, get the OMS. If you want the slightly more stream-lined wing, get the Oxy. Choose which is more important, and then place your order.

They're both fine wings. I'd prefer the Oxy, but really, you won't notice a difference in the water. Seriously don't spend much time thinking about this, either wing will make you happy. If you want to support the shop, get the OMS. If you want the slightly more stream-lined wing, get the Oxy. Choose which is more important, and then place your order.

Thank you-that's exactly what I wanted to know. If there's not much of a difference to be a big deal, I'd rather support the shop.

The more wings I dive, the more I realize a lot of people are making a lot of good wings. I worried about this too much when I made my first purchase (not that I got the wrong wing, but that I would have gotten that wing without so much mental agony).

The Oxycheq Mach V wings are narrower and therefore more streamlined. They also have the Extreme version of the Mach V which is probably the toughest wing on the market. Why not ask if your LDS can order it for you (if you really want to cut them in), or just order the wing separately and buy an OMS backplate, harness and STA from the LDS? Of course you could probably find much better deals on the internet...

caroln,

Take a look at this post I made awhile back when some one asked the same question. It has some picts that might help.

If you look at the thread linked ny xiSkiGuy you will see that there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in size, frontal area, taco effect and other important aspects between the two wings pictured. I have not used that OMS but I have used th Mach V and it is it's transparency I like, it is as if there is nothing there.

N

If you look at the thread linked ny xiSkiGuy you will see that there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in size, frontal area, taco effect and other important aspects between the two wings pictured. I have not used that OMS but I have used th Mach V and it is it's transparency I like, it is as if there is nothing there.

N

Yet, they dive just about the same in the water.

Not much I can add, pictures don't lie..lol. But at the end of the day I bet you won't feel a tremendous difference underwater. I have a Mach V and love it. If you really want a red wing, you can always get a custom color from Oxycheq too. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom