OMS bungied wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes pug, I realize this is not exactly proper but with the scubapro hyperthane pro drusuit, squeeze can be a little uncomfortable at times. Adding air to the suit at depth provides bouyancy control, minimizes squeeze and discomfort caused by cold.

The reason I don't use the bungie wings is the fact that in hi flow situations cave or open water .. the drag is noticably different between a bungie vs. non bungie..both using singles or doubles..I am to out of shape to want to work hard because of a piece of gear:)... I guess thats why submarines have smooth sides:):)
Ken

Originally posted by bigcat
Yes pug, I realize this is not exactly proper but with the scubapro hyperthane pro drusuit, squeeze can be a little uncomfortable at times. Adding air to the suit at depth provides bouyancy control, minimizes squeeze and discomfort caused by cold.
Big,
*Proper* or not what you describe seems to be what most of the training agencies around here teach. I recently purchased a new CF200 from a LDS and in talking with the manager told him that I only put enough gas in the suit to keep the squeeze at a modest ~20fsw amount... and that I use my wing for buoyancy control... he actually seemed surprised like he had never heard of that before and he is an accomplished diver and PADI instructor. After talking awhile about it he said that he would give it a try next time he had the opportunity. You might want to consider testing it out as well. You should be able to reduce your total weight carried by taking some off the belt. I don't know about stream lining with the bungee wing but the gas you put in the non-bungee wing causes it to fold up around the tank and present a minimal frontal area for drag so it actually works better with a little gas in it. One thing that is really important if you dive with a squeeze on the suit (I am not talking *hicky* force squeeze) is that you need good undergarments for warmth... we also use argon pre-dive suit flushing.

Hi,
I too am another GUE/DIR 'brainwashed' fan...to a point...I own Halycon, but am intrigued by the OMS vs Halycon debate. Seems that bungee's make sense, at least, in assisting to help get the air out of the wing after...I dunno, but during our OW 1 class, using SP BC's, I had to manually 'squeeze' the BC in order to get the last remaining air out so I could get (-) buoyant. So, it seemed to me that maybe OMS's design might have merit? Thoughts on this? (I'm know I'm ASKING for it now!)

Most of the DIR brainwashing has come from Irvine's methodology. Whether it is all opinion on actually based on true life experience, I have yet to ascertain, but you have to look at the man's cave diving record. Its pristine...but, sometimes I wonder, is it due to Halycon 'kickbacks' or otherwise for such a strong endorsement?

If he hates OMS so much, then what about Dive Rite?

PS I like the OMS red for the wings....so when is someone else gonna make a his vis wing color? thought the whole idea in scuba diving was to be visible to your dive buddy! So WHY all the BLACK scuba gear then? Maybe the Navy Seals need BLACK, but we don't!

When's the scuba industry gonna make some interesting colors?

I see a new company out, DEEP OUTDOORS is gonna offer wings in colors...

Go look at their Adobe PDF catalog at:

http://www.deepoutdoors.com/

???

Black looks mean and technical! Duh! :wink: :eek:ut:

Personally, being from Georgia and all, I would like a set of wings in either RealTree Camo or MossyOak Camo. I would also like a set in blaze orange! LOL.

If you want colored wings, DiveRite Classic come in black, red, and blue.

Hmm...yea, I like red...hmmm...Halycon?

With the bungies and their aid in removing air from the bladder. Do you really want that? What if you get a hole in the wing, now you have less time to solve the problem. And you need to replace the bungie every so often. The DR or Halcyon wings are simple.

Eric

Yes,
I know...the arguments are strong on anti-bungee, and it makes sense....if you were to not to able to inflate via the tank, it would be harder to manually inflate with the bungee working 'against you' by orally inflating, and, "Oops, now I have no lift"

Could this be why OMS has just introduced a NON BUNGEED model? Hmmm....

How's Dive Rites wings?

I'm looking to set up a OW rig for my wife next, and frankly, she won't dive that much, so maybe the Halycon would be overkill and the Dive Rite would be adequate...

???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom