OMS emergency shears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well this looks like its boiling down to personal preference. MARKFM We were taught that in OW about maintaining your gear and WD40 its a great rust preventor for knives and shears and if you want to use it make sure you are using a separate container for the knives, shears and so on NEVER,NEVER USE IT ON ANY LIFE SUPPORT/AIR DELIVERY SYSTEM AND DON’T PUT THE KNIVES, SHEARS IN THE SAME BUCKET WERE CROSS CONTAMINATION CAN ACCURE. Thank you I made the assumption everyone learned that in class but again that’s what I get for making an assumption. I should have clarified how I maintain my gear. My Knives and EMT shears and my gardening shears all get dumped in a little five gallon bucked with fresh water and two tablespoons of baking soda and stir it up and let the above soak for at least an hr. Then I pat dry and drop a little bit of hoppes number 9 (the gun oil) on a rag and wipe down the above. I use DW40 when hoppes 9 is not at home (my brother use it for its intended purpose to maintain our guns) All if can say with out getting into it that while yes my cutlery is on the cheaper side and not this ceramic, titanium made knives, none of my cutlery has any rust or adverse reaction to saltwater and all are shinny and cut like razors. Now also when I do use WD-40 I don’t spray the item I spray a rag and wipe them down and let dry. Yes it may be a longer process but then again this is my gear that’s supposed to help out of a bad situation, so I look at it as a way to meticulously clean my gear and have time inspecting it for any problems or issues It may have had, which I have had none. It may not be a process for every one , my bc and suits get soaked in one plastic garbage can my tanks and regs are connected and charged and dumped in a Tupperware storage bin and soak while my cutlery get soaked in a five gallon bucket and my boots and gloves and fins get sprayed out and soak in my other plastic garbage can. After they get hung up and store in my garage and all my garbage cans get stacked together and fit in the corner and my storage bin hold my fins, gloves, hoods underneath my suits and bc’s along with my tanks and regs all packed in a case and hanging, ready for the next dive that’s not to far away. We try and dive every Monday or Tuesday and if the tides are working with use we can normally get one a day or two a day and on the great days two both days. Having Mondays and Tuesdays off are great thing. As you can see I’m an little anal retentive about our gear but then again its my gear and my life support.

No disagreement, just didn't want others to accidentally stumble across it.
I'm lucky -- fresh water so far, simpler gear maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom