OMS IQ pack...Just the Harness not whole package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For thoes that dive with this opinion please? I know that everyone has Different Strokes and some are just "Strokes" so please, no flaming:D

I currently dive with a "hog" rig with backplate and STA. I'm looking for something that is a little more comfortable when doing the "average" recreational dive. If I were diving with doubles I would definatelly continue to use my HOG rig.

The IQ is a softpack that allows you to insert a steel backplate into the back and use a wing (oxycheq in my case) and STA just like what I'm diving now. It is a little different than the Dive Rite Transpack thing that doesn't have a steel plate.

Thanks,
Jeremy

I normally use an IQ pack without a plate for single tanks. Too busy at the moment to say much, but if you want to try it locally some time, I could let you.

My wife dives with the IQ harness, singles and doubles, she loves it. I'm a hog diver myself, but she prefers the ability to adjust the harness and the extra bit of comfort... works fine for a single 130 or her twin 100's.

I dive the OMS harness when teaching. I don't use a bp, I just insert a p weight usually and attach the STA's to it. It works out okay, but I prefer my hog harness, even in single tanks. The hog still provides more stability.

What bp are you diving? It sounds like you may need a different bp (a different design) instead of a different harness.

Dive-aholic:
I dive the OMS harness when teaching. I don't use a bp, I just insert a p weight usually and attach the STA's to it. It works out okay, but I prefer my hog harness, even in single tanks. The hog still provides more stability.

What bp are you diving? It sounds like you may need a different bp (a different design) instead of a different harness.

I'm very comfortable in my rig while I'm diving. It's the getting into and out of it that I would like to change. I bought the IQ pack to see if I really like it. My backplate will not fit into the IQ Pack and I cannot thread the cam bands thru my wing (size difference). I tried the STA by itself and it worked okay but it's not stable enough for my tastes.

I'm going to just return it and get the OMS harness that attaches directly to the backplate as it has adjustments but seems simpler and more of what I'm used to.

Jeremy

What kind of diving do you do? If you're doing technical type diving, the harness just adds failure points. I agree, the hog is a pain to get into and out of, but it's worth the hassle to have the ease of mind on the dive. I've never dived the harness that attaches to the bp, but if it's anything like the IQ, I don't think I would like it that much. I've found that getting into and out of the hog config is easier if you have your tanks up at the right level so you don't have to bend down to get it on. Like I said, I use a p weight in my IQ to stabilize the tank and it does the job. I prefer the hog because I like the stability of the 2" webbing over the IQ harness and clips.

JKSteger:
For thoes that dive with this opinion please? I know that everyone has Different Strokes and some are just "Strokes" so please, no flaming:D

I currently dive with a "hog" rig with backplate and STA. I'm looking for something that is a little more comfortable when doing the "average" recreational dive. If I were diving with doubles I would definatelly continue to use my HOG rig.

The IQ is a softpack that allows you to insert a steel backplate into the back and use a wing (oxycheq in my case) and STA just like what I'm diving now. It is a little different than the Dive Rite Transpack thing that doesn't have a steel plate.

Thanks,
Jeremy

I tried the IQ pack for recreational diving and was not overly impressed. I went with the Dive Rite Transplate set-up with venture wing and love the low profile for single tanks. I dive 100 steels. I find this set-up quite stable even w/o the STA. To me the soft pac thing seems to create more instability. I find the BP comfortable even in a .5mm jumpsuit.

Dive-aholic:
What kind of diving do you do? If you're doing technical type diving, the harness just adds failure points.

I don't do any technical diving currently. I possibly see some in the future. No cave though. Only deep or deco possibly but that is down the road a bit. Nope, all I do now is just recreational diving within NDL limits.

I dive with steel tanks now.

I think that getting the comfort harness from DiveRite or OMS will fill the void and it's not like I'm throwing out my singe piece, continuas webbing either. I have many, many feet of that webbing in the closet. When I get another backplate I will just have 2 different setups to use. And when I finally get to the "technical" diving I will evaluate the rig and probably choose the singe piece, simplistic harness over the Surface Interval "comfort" harness.

Thanks for all the advice,
Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom