OMS SS or alum backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was a Hogarthian or minimalist approach part of the OP's requirements. It isn't one of mine. Just because someone likes a BP&W doesn't require them to take a minimalist or Hogarthian approach to diving. A BP&W may be used simply for it's modular versatility or because of it's good trim characteristics.

I meant no offense to anyone, but I assumed (I know what happens when you assume:D) since it is posted in this forum (Hogarthian Diving), that was what he was trying to accomplish. I fully endorse the concept of diving the way and gear you like.

The black plate comes down to what tanks your going to be using. Right now I use a single steel HP130 and I have an Alum plate. If I was using a smaller tank or Alum then the SS would be my choice. If for some reason I have to use Alum then I have weight that works with the single tank adaptor.

Just and FYI, I have found in the last year most people who dive OMS have cut all that extra stuff off the harness. They said it worked better after doing this. If you want OMS then I would only get the harness with out all the other stuff.

I used to carry 24 lbs of weight on top of my SS backplate and IQ-Pak. It was nice and comfy on the surface.

I then switched to a Halcyon SS backplate and webbing. I now carry zero extra weight when diving the same configuration (suit, tanks, etc...).

When I am forced to dive a single tank (AL80) I use a Halcyon Single Tank Adapter with 8 lbs in it and I still wear no extra weight.

While the IQ-Pak seemed to me like a good idea at the time, I far prefer the minimalist approach. Get yourself some webbing and set up your SS backplate with it. You'll find your weight requirements will change big time.

Oh yes, and one day in October I sat shaking my head as two divers with IQ-Paks suffered two different types of clip failure on their rigs. While duct tape and cave line saved the day, I'm glad it wasn't me that needed it :shocked2:

The IQ pack is basically a extra padded harness and backpad with a backplate stuck into it for rigidity. Add a backpad to any harness and you need more weigh.
There is no question that more weight is needed to sink it. Just as my Comfort harness requires more than a deluxe harness and the deluxe harness requires more than the Hog harness. These are all trade offs dependant upon personal preference. The question becomes how much padding and what releases you are comfortable with. This will take you to the next point which is how much weigh you'll need dependant on that rig, your exposure protection, fresh or saltwater and the tank/s you'll be using.

Neither. Get another brand of backplate besides OMS.

Do a search on "OMS customer service."

Neither. Get another brand of backplate besides OMS.

Do a search on "OMS customer service."

It is more about the weight of the plate than the brand. I have OMS, Deepoutdoors, Diverite, etc. They all do the same job. A backplate is a backplate. I would decide what characteristics you need and go get the BP that you can get the best deal on.

Still Steel.

Should I get a OMS comfort harness with alum or SS backplate? My goal is to use the least weight in the pockets and was wondering if the SS would be better for this? I dive in fresh water most of the time. The only drawback for me is the SS cost as I am on a budget.

Thanks

OMS makes great gear. Just avoid the "comfort harness: or "IQ pack". Grab a decent wing and plate and thread a few feet of nylon webbing around. SS if you are light, Alum of you are heavy.

I use single tank AL 80 CF and wet suit.

Good idea about the travel weight. But isn't it a pain to change the webbing from one plate to the other?

Harness webbing is about .70/ Cents a foot can set up both back plates for about 25.00 to 30.00 plus whatever D rings you decide to add.

I have a aluminium backplate for travel, have dove with a S/S backplate and double HP 100's when diving with a drysuit requires no additional weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom