On Land Photographer - Firing Strobes On Land From underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JZFotoJZ

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I have some questions that I can't seem to find answers to. I've searched and searched but everything in the search engines shows up underwater strobes. Let me explain....

I'm a fashion/commercial photographer looking to expand my work in underwater fashion photography. I currently have a Ikelite water housing for a Nikon D200. What I want to be able to do is, find some way to sync strobes on land, such as on the edges of a pool so I can light up the area I'll be shooting in. I can't find a way to wirelessly transmit my strobes from underwater. If not wireless, is there a way I could get a cable from the port on my housing in which it can be attached to a pocket wizard or even a mono plug to fit into a strobe near the edge of the pool?

Please, if anyone has any info, or might be able to point me in a direction where I could make this possible, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

How about a slave trigger topside pointed into the area of the pool where you are shooting?

Or use a small optically triggered strobe on either an extension arm or on a float, above or on the surface, to trip the slaved topside strobes.

This wouldn't be TTL and you might need an assistant to monitor things up there. Any direct cabling, either electronic or optical, to a topside array would be cumbersome and possibly dangerous.

Yeah your probably right about exposed wires being quite dangerous. I'm going to see if a friend has a pair of underwater strobes I can borrow so I just set my studio strobes to slave mode. I appreciate all the help.

Hello,I'm new to this forum.Rather than useing wireless,flash triggered strobes,has any one ever attempted to use radio.Waterproof existing studio rigs or building transcivers from scratch?Is there a Vance Harlow of the photo world? If we can use radio waves to communicat under water and radio waves trigger a remote flash, I .think it would work.It's just the water proof part.Any thoughts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom