On the Surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmnyc

Registered
Reaction score
I do quite a bit of shore diving. How well do scooters work on the surface.

Some of the swim outs are quite far. Would a scooter work well getting a across the surface?

I am not talking about miles out to sea.

Thank you.

they are very inefficient on the surface for most people since it is quite difficult to get the prop wash away from your body. Depending on the dpv, i.e. if it's one of the cheap recreational ones or the ones we use in cave diving, you're probably better off putting a compass on the hull and just heading out at a relatively shallow depth to save gas. Will be much faster that way

I've used different scooters over the years on the surface to tow myself in really bad viz. It's kinda tricky though and, as Tbone mentioned, inefficient. Basically you still need to be in a snorkelling position, face down in the water, with scooter below you, and pop your head up periodically to maintain direction. I breath off my reg doing it as I don't carry a snorkel. Keeping your head out of the water makes it pretty messy as the prop wash sprays in your face unless the scooter is a few feet under the surface and level and you act like a boat anchor being towed behind it.

I have seen videos about scooter, it's my new passion atm :wink: definitly some DPV are super great at the surface (buyant, fast and heasy to handle). That one seems to be great Spotmydive apparently it was a scooter for snorkling before diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom