Once again, batteries in carry-on or checked bags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASA400

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, so I know about putting batteries in your carry-on bags when traveling in the US, as per TSA rules. However, I'm a bit confused by the regulations when leaving Mexico.

I have a focus light that I put on my camera housing. It has a rechargeable battery enclosed in it. While it can be removed, it's better to leave it where it is. Should I remove the battery from the light and place the battery in my checked bag when exiting Mexico?

Also, I have two spare batteries for my camera, plus the one in the camera, along with my underwater flash batteries (AA). When I was in Coz last year, I only took the one battery in the camera and wasn't even questioned about it. In fact, I wasn't questioned about any batteries, but I wasn't carrying the flash units at that time, which take 4 AA batteries each. Should I take all batteries out and place them in the checked bag? I have Think Tank battery holders for both my extra camera batteries and also for the 8 extra AA batteries, but not any containers for the batteries housed in the flash units or the battery in the camera. Do I need to get a holders for all of those batteries also?

In the US, the issue is with lithium spares, not other kinds of batteries.
In Mexico, the kind of battery is irrelevant.

There should be no problem with batteries that are in devices, but it's Mexico....
The issue is supposed to be spare batteries, not those in devices, but it's Mexico....
You would be completely safe to take all spares and all devices with batteries and put them in your checked luggage. It might be overkill, but that is preferable to underkill.

Then, be prepared to move lithium spares back into your carry-on per TSA rules, if you are connecting in the US.

Last time I was scolded for batteries in carry-ons leaving cosumel... so long as they are in a "device" they are fine. Leave them in your lights, camera, etc. They don't like free-floating batteries that aren't in a "device" or one of those silly approved battery cases.

We recently left Cozumel for the U.S. When you get in the line to check in they show you a plaque. No dive lights, no batteries, no dive weights in carryon luggage. The only battery exception was for batteries in cameras and computers.

There is a display case in the lobby with all the different type items that they have confiscated.

Okay, thanks guys, I guess I'll put my batteries in the checked bags for leaving Coz and swap them in Dallas to my carry-on. And I'll put the focus light in the checked bag, which shouldn't have to be swapped out to my carry-on.

We recently left Cozumel for the U.S. When you get in the line to check in they show you a plaque. No dive lights, no batteries, no dive weights in carryon luggage. The only battery exception was for batteries in cameras and computers.

There is a display case in the lobby with all the different type items that they have confiscated.

I haven't had problems outbound from Cozumel with batteries in lights or other devices, in cary on baggage. Now a large canister light would probably be another story. Loose batteries will be confiscated if seen, unless they miss them on the scan. These rules are nationwide in Mexico but Cozumel is one of the more liberal / common sense airports I have traveled thru in Mexico. That being said be prepared to loose any batteries not installed in a phone, camera or laptop. In Mexico I believe the screeners are private contract employees who often take their jobs seriously and follow any instuctions very literaly for fear of loosing their jobs. By the time you go through screening your checked bag has already been processed so it would be difficult to go back and check them (but not impossible, again the contract airlines employees are very nice and helpful in CZM).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom