Once dry, do you ever go back to wet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robertarak

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
So, now that my first drysuit is on it's way to me, I am curious how many people switch back and forth from wet to dry and back again. I know that when I was reseatching BC's, it seemed that once a diver went from a vest type BC to a BP/W they never went back to the vest. Is this true for diving dry? I know as the temps. drop I will appreciate drysuit diving, but I do love diving wet. I like being part of the water. Hard to imagine diving dry will give me that.

So, tell me, once you dive dry, do you ever go back to diving wet?

i only dive wet on vacations now, to the Caribbean or South Florida and the Keys ... packing a shorty wetsuit is just much easier

My wetsuit hasn't seen the light of day since I got my drysuit ready to dive. My overboots are too small, and my weighting still isn't right, but I just don't want to go back to diving wet. I DID try it for ONE dive. And even though it was a Florida spring, it felt like the arctic. Air temps were near 100F, and I just wanted some relief.

Never again. All dry all the time.

Once you get comfortable in your DS, it's tough to get back into a wetsuit. On my side of the country, the air temp deters drysuit diving a little. Suiting up when it's 100+ degrees is brutal. Other than that, dry dry dry.

From the sounds of it, your waters tend to be considerably cooler than ours, so my guess is your wetsuit will be doing some dust collecting in the very near future.

Once you go dry...

I've got a DUI TLS350 which I use for water 35F-75F, a DUI 30/30 for water 75F-85F and an Xcel wetsuit that I wear in a heated indoor pool when working with students.

Going back to wetsuits is traumatic- It makes me scream like a little girl when my hands get wet and the water shoots down my back.

I dive dry year round, except on 1) warm water vacations, 2) some classes (rare), and 3) freediving- 3mm below the thermocline :11: It stays with you- when I dive in warm water, I'm covered head to toe- 3mm full suit with 3mm hood and gloves, if they let me. The last trip to Floriduh, the water temp was 92f at the surface. I scares the crap out me when I jump in a quarry with just a bathing suit on- that's a little too close to the fish!

Diving dry is much more comfortable, plus it gives me more control over my trim since I can fluff my feet if I want them higher.

I only dive dry when it is too cold to dive wet.

When I use a wet suit here in Maine I always fill it with hot water before I go in. I don't like the feel of cold water getting into my suit. Once I am in the water I am warm.

I like the way a wetsuit swims better, but not as good as my shorty in the Caribbean. That is my favorite wetsuit.

I am going to Florida in a few weeks and I think I am packing my trilam drysuit and thin undergarments. I really don't want to sit around in a wet wetsuit. In the heat I can strip down and relax, I then don't have to fight to put it back on wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom