One dead at Cow Springs - Live Oak, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He could still monitor PPO2 via the hud.
Yes, but how accurately or for how long with water wicking into the Fischer cable and potentially effecting mV readings? The only sure way would be to constantly Dil flush and verify pO2 reading which would be very task loading.

We don't know that. The fischer connection was compromised. Who knows how accurate that was. I have no idea how deep he was, but he might have toxed.
We know how deep he was and for how long.
He never made it to the gold line tie in(30ft iirc). And was not moving within 10min of entering the water.

He was aware of an issue and in the process of bailing out. He obviously didn't tox or go hypoxic.

With isolation resistors installed, the difference is roughly 0.1ppo2 with a dead short on the cable.

He obviously didn't tox or go hypoxic.
It's not that obvious to me. I doubt he went hypoxic, but with a lot of diving over the previous week, toxing out is a distinct possibility.

Either way: don't dive with a damaged rebreather. There's nothing down there that's worth risking your life over something like that.

It's not that obvious to me. I doubt he went hypoxic, but with a lot of diving over the previous week, toxing out is a distinct possibility.

Either way: don't dive with a damaged rebreather. There's nothing down there that's worth risking your life over something like that.

If he toxed he wouldn't have been able to close the dsv, deploy a long hose, lose it, and reach for the other.

If he toxed he wouldn't have been able to close the dsv, deploy a long hose, lose it, and reach for the other.
Again, you don't know that. Not all toxes are absolute. The only time I've seen one, the guy was absolutely confused as he had not gone too deep. I pulled him up, as it was obvious he was having a major brain malfunction. We ended the dive right there even though he was fine on the surface. We think it was water on the cells that caused the solenoid to flush the loop with O2. We weren't that deep when it happened.

Again, you don't know that. Not all toxes are absolute. The only time I've seen one, the guy was absolutely confused as he had not gone too deep. I pulled him up, as it was obvious he was having a major brain malfunction. We ended the dive right there even though he was fine on the surface. We think it was water on the cells that caused the solenoid to flush the loop with O2. We weren't that deep when it happened.
You have no way of knowing that ether. There is nothing in the report that hints at him toxing. You're projecting your incident on this one.

It does say that he had signs of IPE

It does say that he had signs of IPE

Couple thoughts/questions:

1. My projecting my own experience of a victim with IPE makes me think this is physiological/environmental. Is there something about his dive profile or the state of his gear that would make IPE more likely? (My victim thankfully fully recovered, but was advised not to dive for medical reasons that were complicated by our cold water.)

2. I thought the report said his oxygen bottle was empty. That seems weird to me, but I don't use a CCR.
EDIT: Never mind, just read the asterisk. It likely bled out oxygen post mortem.

2. I thought the report said his oxygen bottle was empty. That seems weird to me, but I don't use a CCR.
It was a CMF based CCR so it will continue to pump oxygen into the loop regardless of PPO2.

Couple thoughts/questions:

1. My projecting my own experience of a victim with IPE makes me think this is physiological/environmental. Is there something about his dive profile or the state of his gear that would make IPE more likely? (My victim thankfully fully recovered, but was advised not to dive for medical reasons that were complicated by our cold water.)

EDIT: Never mind, just read the asterisk. It likely bled out oxygen post mortem.
IPE is a mystery, I'm not even sure if the contributing factors as to what causes it are fully known.

I know going head down, such as the entrance to cow, increases the inhale WOB significantly on the classic.

By what I'm reading, IPE was the root cause, lack of immediate bailout source was the fist broken link in the chain of events that led to the outcome.

I can see difficulty breathing which led to the wise decision to bailout to something that breaths easy (OC) and if some uneasiness/panic was already setting in, either by the difficulty to breath alone or that combined with the issues with the DSV, and maybe the nature of the entrance to Cow (haven't been there much or recently, so this may not mean anything), diver is turning for the exit, abandoning reel/line while simultaneously deploying long hose on right side cylinder which gets caught on line and entangles to a point where he is unable to reach his mouth, then we can imagine panic being much higher at this point that deploying the left side reg led to the issues with that bottle...

The entanglement is a bit weird though, thinking that the line ends right where he was and not being tied in it's a loose end, although entangled in it, should still be able to connect hand(reg) to mouth, first thing to come to mind is, if my hand cant reach my mouth, then my mouth will try to reach my hand, easy to say it from the chair I'm sitting in of course.

Back
Top Bottom