One Man's Personal Lake Clean-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metaldector

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I live off a little lake in Longwood, Florida. Because of the cold weather earlier this year the lake is very clear (must have killed a lot of little water critters. The result is a clear lake with viz of 10 feet or more (previous 20 years -0- viz. So I went diving. I found a heap of trash in seconds, 20 years worth! I started picking up the stuff and removed several trash cans full over the course of four dives. I also now know what type of fish we have and where they hangout. I've attached a couple of photos of the junk, it ain't pretty. Among the stuff found was a boat prop, two fishing poles, 35 golf balls, many beer cans, bottles, and other plastic (knives, forks, and spoons), a tape measure, pvc pipes, and caps, tons of rubber worms and creatures (they don't bio-degrade), fishing jigs, gallon plastic jugs, boat trailer rollers, sun glasses, truck and motorcycle tires. I'm not done yet but as the viz diminishes I might have to stop soon as the growth is starting up again. When I started a month ago the water temp was 64 degrees and last Friday it was 78 degrees. The point of this is non-divers just don't get it, what's thrown in the water stays in the water for a very long time.

Attachments

• lake fair junk2.jpg
    lake fair junk2.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 99
  • trashdive.jpg
    trashdive.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 92
Nice job. Just wish Longwood was a little closer to Texas. I would be there to help. But just know your effort is noticed and greatly appreciated!

That's great!!! I always try to bring some type of trash up with me on every dive. :wink:

Without sounding argumentative but, if a lot of this stuff's been there for a while, surely it's something's home that you're dredging up?

I'm not sure how good tidying up, what is essentially, a small bit of garbage and the benefit it would have on the lake. :confused: Would it not serve the lake better having more bins and better signage?

Yet again, I dunno how polluted the lake is or how big it is and that.

We see a load of stuff diving, a lot of it we leave in situ as it starts to become the reef. Old tires, bottles etc. Things like plastic bags or candy wrappers usually end up in my BC pocket, as do fishing lines, but most other things stay were they are.

Without sounding argumentative but, if a lot of this stuff's been there for a while, surely it's something's home that you're dredging up?

I'm not sure how good tidying up, what is essentially, a small bit of garbage and the benefit it would have on the lake. :confused: Would it not serve the lake better having more bins and better signage?

We see a load of stuff diving, a lot of it we leave in situ as it starts to become the reef. Old tires, bottles etc. Things like plastic bags or candy wrappers usually end up in my BC pocket, as do fishing lines, but most other things stay were they are.

The ecosystem in a lake tends to be a bit different from that on a reef.

And after all the hard work I did just getting that stuff in there YOU go and pull it right back out again! ... Some peoples children...:shakehead:

Joking!:wink:

awesome! a lake bottom clean up is a good idea for any dive location...i frequently dive a lake and the bottom is littered with can bottles n bags. i think the next time my club dives this lake, well do our own little lake clean up.

This is a fresh water lake, not a reef. I guess if this stuff was thrown in your front yard, after a while some critters would move in, ie. insects, rats, snakes, etc. Would you feel that this eco-system shouldn't be disturbed? I've hiked in the Colorado mountains and found beer cans, etc above 10,000 feet. Should I leave them because they have acclimated to the environment? No I think not. A reef is a living organism. If the reef has enclosed on a man made object I will let it stay but not in my little lake.

This is a fresh water lake, not a reef. I guess if this stuff was thrown in your front yard, after a while some critters would move in, ie. insects, rats, snakes, etc. Would you feel that this eco-system shouldn't be disturbed? I've hiked in the Colorado mountains and found beer cans, etc above 10,000 feet. Should I leave them because they have acclimated to the environment? No I think not. A reef is a living organism. If the reef has enclosed on a man made object I will let it stay but not in my little lake.

Some interesting responses. I don't know which is better, but I tend to think it's best to take that garbage out - especially from a small lake. Brings up another debate. A lot is made of the "Artificial Reef" programs- like in Fla., S.C., etc. in that they create homes from marine life, therefore increasing the numbers of some species. I believe this has not been scientifically proven. Some say it may just re-distribute where these creatures live, not affect their numbers. Don't think anyone knows which is true. The artificial reefs also create interesting places for divers to explore, say those who sink the ships, etc. Considering past actions by humans, I lean toward thinking that the ships, etc. are dumped in the ocean because it's the cheapest way to get rid of them, then put a positive spin on it. Look at the old "55" mile speed limit nation wide for 12+ years (if you're old enough). It was done to save gas, but became "55 saves lives"--another positive spin. When there wasn't an oil crisis anymore by 1986, the speed limits went back up. What happened to "55 saves lives"? Sorry so far afield. I know a pile of garbage in a lake was not meant to be an artificial home for critters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom