One of Hawaii's Holy Grail's - The Dragon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beautiful photos! I love the dragons and your pictures really do them justice. Congrats on the find :O)

Sweet! Thanks for posting those great shots. Just one more reason to return and dive Hawaii again.

It's funny but I really don't consider myself to be anything but lucky. Lucky I have the time to make dives like this, lucky I live in a place with dives like this, lucky I work with people who know where animals like this live, lucky my 5050 rig is set up to completely disassemble underwater.

I spent over $1400 on the strobe, sensor and wide angle lens, but it's priceless to be able to remove just the Oly camera and housing, leaving that other stuff on the bottom, to take shots like these in full auto.

Like many of my images, I was just in the right place at the right time, but thanks again to all I have not yet thanked :)

Last edited:
Nice. I have seen them only once years back in Napili Bay. You have too much fun.

Very nice Steve. I thought they looked a little different when I first saw the photos. The second one is paler, yeah? Possibly the female? So, I guess I have to drive to the west side to see them??!

Some people think that the males have more orange on the jaw than the females, but I don't think it's ever been verified. If this really is a pair, it'd definitely support that theory.

Dragon eels aren't particularly rare - just very cryptic and requiring specific habitat. If you find one, there's a good chance that there are more in the same area so it's worth looking closely each time you visit the site.

rgbmatt; right now we just refer to the pale one as the older one because it is the larger one. We of course speculate that the more colorful one is male, but how would we really find out while leaving them relatively undisturbed in the wild.

Recently, at a site a quarter mile away, one of my guests found a pale one that looked just the same size. Then on our second dive at the site of these pictures we only saw the colorful one. Either the pale one roams far or there could be at least three in this area. There are many of nearly every eel variety in this area, and many other cool rare finds.

I am going back my next day off!

We regularly encounter pairs at one of our dive sites...I will have to pay more attention to see if I can identify which one is the male and which one is the female.

Back
Top Bottom