One Piece of Webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with buckles and releases is that they may let go even when you did not intend them to let go. While that problem may be quite small, if they are unnecessary, then there is no reason to incur the problem. I have added a QR and a buckle to a continuous harness without cutting the webbing and it can give you extra room for doffing if you need it. (After quite a bit I work, I quickly discovered I did not need it.)

I agree

Another consideration is the production costs. Sewing and additional hardware also drive up the cost with no benefit for most divers.

I agree here too.

BTW, I do have a couple tank straps that have no sewing. I had some old Scubapro metal hardware and rebuilt the straps using SS triglides (weight keepers) to attach the cam hardware and neoprene cement to attach the velcro patches. It seems to be hiolding just fine.

Did you do this because of previous sewing failures, or because of lack of easy access to commercial sewing equipment?

Tobin

Back in the day when I would do long deep dives in 32-35 degree water and then surface into subfreezing air temps, I found a quick release was handy in getting out of a wing in a dry suit with heavy undergarments, dry glove rings, dry gloves, etc without having more slack in the harness than I felt was correct under water.

But since I don't do that anymore, I no longer have a need for a quick release and use a one piece harness exclusively.

In general though, I am not a fan of using a weight belt buckle as a QR as they tend to slip and slide and are prone to getting bent in sneakly ways that result in them slipping and sliding underwater. In contrast a 2" fastex buckle is durable in the water. As stated above, if they break it is usually due to pre-dive negligence or abuse.

So oddly enough, the "stronger" weight belt buckle is the one more likely to precipitate a failure underwater where the consequences are more of a concern than a fastex buckle that if it breaks just means you won't dive unless you broght a spare. The pronged end - the end most likely to break can be installed on the end with the threaded strap so it is in fact quickly replaceable in the field.

+1 or 2 on the stiching thing. I have used sewn climbing harnesses and (gasp) sewn parachute harnesses and have not died yet. My Jeep has a 2" tow strap in it with sewn loops in the end and I have used nylon lift straps in commercial diving with sewn loops. I have never seen an overloaded strap fail at the stiching - it always fails somewhere in the middle. In fact, you can usually cut through one layer of a sewn strap (in between rows of stitches or bar tacks) and still have it fail somewhere else. In comparison if you cut through a layer of strap in the middle, you obviously now have 2 shorter straps.
release.

My logic is simply that something that is never cut is going to be stronger and more reliable than something that is cut and sewn back together.

My brother is an engineer for Henkel-Loctite. He has told me of joining two pieces of material together with an adhesive/glue/whatever that when properly used holds while the bonded pieces are twisted and bent out of shape. I don't see why a proper sewing job could not be stronger than the material it joins. But what do I know?

My brother is an engineer for Henkel-Loctite. He has told me of joining two pieces of material together with an adhesive/glue/whatever that when properly used holds while the bonded pieces are twisted and bent out of shape. I don't see why a proper sewing job could not be stronger than the material it joins. But what do I know?

Provided the sewing is done properly, without too many errors, and using an appropriate material, just like with bolted joints, there is no reason a sewn joint can't be stronger than the members it is joining.

I use the single piece of webbing because its cheap 18.00 CDN for 11ft, simple, very versatile, and works, as for failure points like was said previously have never heard of a accident because the plastic buckle failure.

In 1968 I had a US Divers hard back pack which was rigged with 2" webbing exactly like the so called "Hog" harness, except it had three half inch stainless snaps on the left shoulder strap. Although they were never used except to clean them, they were very strong, much better then cheesy plastic buckles.

It doesn't really matter whether the sewing or the strap itself is "stronger", they're both far stronger than they need to be for diving. The issue is that for most divers who have tried both, the simple one piece hog harness is more comfortable and convenient in the water.

Provided the sewing is done properly, without too many errors, and using an appropriate material, just like with bolted joints, there is no reason a sewn joint can't be stronger than the members it is joining.

Reminds me of thing I saw in a plumbing catalog that said, "The joint is stronger than the pipe!" but I thought they were talking about something else.:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom