One way ticket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a busy body agent in ORD, has nothing to do with Mexico's immigration.
yes not Mexican immigration, it was the airlines that would not let you on the plane to Mexico unless you had proof of a return ticket. I had to supply the return confirmation from the other airline in order to leave Chicago. again this was 4-5 years ago and I don't know if it was airline rule or Mexican immigration that required it. Outbound to Cancun on Spirit and return from CZM on American, bought each one way ticket separately on the respective website. Maybe if I booked through travel agent or Expedia the return would have shown up on the Spirit computers.

upload_2021-8-10_12-35-24.png

Spirit still has the notice in red box at right

Technically if you are refused entry the airline (back in the 19th century the shipline) is responsible to return you to your country of origin. Sometimes an over zealous agent will also refuse you boarding without 6 months remaining on your passport.

Probably the same reason an airline agent in the US might want your passport to have six month's before expiration even though Mexico has no such requirement. They may be applying a generic set of rules that apply to most countries. An agent might work a gate that sees a dozen flights a day all headed to different countries.

Prior to the pandemic this was standard practice flying US to New Zealand on 2 occasions 2017, 2018.

No go checking in at Kennedy at the kiosk. I had to see an agent because my return flight was on a different airline. Bunch of questions asked, review of documents about return flight before they would honor my outbound flight and give me a boarding pass.

Probably the same reason an airline agent in the US might want your passport to have six month's before expiration even though Mexico has no such requirement. They may be applying a generic set of rules that apply to most countries. An agent might work a gate that sees a dozen flights a day all headed to different countries.
Actually Mexico does require more than 6 months remaining on your passport. Individual immigration agents may not care but the rule still exists.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...MQFnoECBcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0wbUW-rROla2ZYEqfCAVMO

I've never had any difficulty ENTERING Mexico with a one-way ticket, either as a tourist or as a resident. I've occasionally encountered hassles trying to get past the departure passport check. They'll keep saying stuff like "they might not let you in when you land or give you a visa for as long as you want" and we'll keep saying stuff like "they can't legally keep us out because we're permanent residents and don't need any visa* to stay the rest of our lives". They've always eventually relented, sometimes with dire mutterings about how we'll be sorry.

Mexico MIGHT not let you in without proof of return plans. They'd be entirely within their rights to do that, and I imagine it's probably happened. I've never seen it or heard of it directly from anyone to whom it's happened.

They CAN give you up to 6 months on a tourist status FMM, but don't have to and I have heard of people who'd counted on being given longer than a week or two who were not. If you are planning to stay longer than a couple of weeks, discuss this explicitly with the INM officer right at the beginning of the encounter and do NOT assume that you're being given Tourist status for 6 months (or 3 or however long you need)!

*I'm aware "visa" isn't actually the applicable term here but that's a separate argument.

Actually Mexico does require more than 6 months remaining on your passport. Individual immigration agents may not care but the rule still exists.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...MQFnoECBcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0wbUW-rROla2ZYEqfCAVMO

I have found lots of sources that say otherwise. You only need validity to cover the time you are there. You don't need six months if you're just staying two weeks.

"The Mexican government only requires that your passport must be valid during the entirety of your trip."
https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/washington/index.php/servicios-para-extranjeros-visas?id=182

"When traveling to the USA, the general rule is to have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the planned time of return.
However, there are some countries, citizens of which can enjoy a bit more freedom regarding their passport expiry rules when traveling to the USA. For citizens of these countries, the passport validity must only cover the time of their intended stay in the States." [Mexico is one of them]
Passport Validity for Travel to USA: What You Need To Know

"The countries that have an agreement with the United States allowing entry with a passport until the date of expiration are as follows:"
[Mexico is one of about 60 listed.]
Travel

I have found lots of sources that say otherwise. You only need validity to cover the time you are there. You don't need six months if you're just staying two weeks.

"The Mexican government only requires that your passport must be valid during the entirety of your trip."
https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/washington/index.php/servicios-para-extranjeros-visas?id=182

"When traveling to the USA, the general rule is to have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the planned time of return.
However, there are some countries, citizens of which can enjoy a bit more freedom regarding their passport expiry rules when traveling to the USA. For citizens of these countries, the passport validity must only cover the time of their intended stay in the States." [Mexico is one of them]
Passport Validity for Travel to USA: What You Need To Know

"The countries that have an agreement with the United States allowing entry with a passport until the date of expiration are as follows:"
[Mexico is one of about 60 listed.]
Travel
That sounds reasonable right up to the point you are denied boarding by a gate agent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom