Suggestion Bad Behavior By Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There are a lot of negative experiences in our community with the liveaboard companies, and it seems to be worse since 2020. How about a separate forum that gathers information in one place here from divers' bad experiences with liveaboard companies and high-volume online brokers like liveaboard.com? This would be a way for us to learn about the companies based on real-life incidents and bad behavior before making a booking. This would be separate from a trip report, which encompasses the whole dive trip experience.

Edit: This suggestion has been approved for member voting. Cast your vote to the right of the text box:rtarrow:

There are a lot of negative experiences in our community with the liveaboard companies, and it seems to be worse since 2020. How about a separate forum that gathers information in one place here from divers' bad experiences with liveaboard companies and high-volume online brokers like liveaboard.com? This would be a way for us to learn about the companies based on real-life incidents and bad behavior before making a booking. This would be separate from a trip report, which encompasses the whole dive trip experience.
I would add let talk the positives too, as I’d like to learn more about the Liveaboards Brands that are reliable and honest.

I can barely stand to have a "stranger" diving with me on the boat for a day, so how can you live on a boat with a bunch of strangers? Plus having them command you and paying for it.

I can barely stand to have a "stranger" diving with me on the boat for a day, so how can you live on a boat with a bunch of strangers? Plus having them command you and paying for it.
If you want to dive those places where the day boat would not be able to accomplish it in a single day.
Solo diver on a LoB is not that common because there is usually a hefty surcharge for a single occupancy.

Two criteria considered when a new forum suggestion is made is will it make it easier for readers to find relevant information and be clearly the appropriate forum for the OP (Original Poster).

Should a "bad liveaboard behavior" post be in the offending company forum (if there is one), the Thumbs Down forum, the Liveaboards & Charter Boats forum, or a geographic forum? Perhaps there is a better way to differentiate and locate posts like this, assuming there are enough threads and interest.

i would love to have a thread about bad liveaboard behavior. Ooh, the drama....

Wow, I have had nothing but positive experiences on liveaboards, and I plan to do many more. I'm very interested in seeing a sub-forum for this.

Two criteria considered when a new forum suggestion is made is will it make it easier for readers to find relevant information and be clearly the appropriate forum for the OP (Original Poster).

Should a "bad liveaboard behavior" post be in the offending company forum (if there is one), the Thumbs Down forum, the Liveaboards & Charter Boats forum, or a geographic forum? Perhaps there is a better way to differentiate and locate posts like this, assuming there are enough threads and interest
IMO, the two forums you listed are too broad for the reader to find vital information about liveaboard companies. When someone is trying to research a specific company, there is no better way to find it than a forum where people share their negative experiences. This could also be a place to give praise and kudos to the operators who get it right.

There are so many liveaboard boats around the globe. It would be useful to the readers to have a specific forum just for everything that's been going wrong on liveaboards. From safety hazards, lack of safety equipment, nonworking equipment, poor food and food handling practices, poor customer service when issues arise, poorly maintained boats, fires, sinking boats, boats running aground, deceitful practices, not providing refunds for cancelled or interrupted trips, crew inability to handle onboard emergencies, A/C not working, plumbing problems, these are just a few examples that contribute to a miserable trip.

FWIW, I've been on eight liveaboard trips with three companies. I won't sail again with two of those companies, and I'm happy to name them, Nautilus and Damai. Allstar is the only company who has treated me right when things went wrong.

Cast your vote at the top of this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom