Online Sales - The importance of buying from local businesses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From Zeeman:
"Perhaps an online presence is what you need? ..... It's 2008, not 1908."

Craig Clark ....time for you to wake up and deal in the now. You might want to start by updating your web page; take out info that expired in the summer of 2007. Your online time would be better spent doing that rather than posting the state of your testicles. Could I suggest that you list the product lines that you sell so people who are in the market for a regulator or BC you carry might come by your shop and buy it.

Good luck to you, I hope you see the light soon enough to survive.

couv

Could I suggest that you list the product lines that you sell so people who are in the market for a regulator or BC you carry might come by your shop and buy it.
My guess is, he'd better not list his prices.

Most online retailers however, get their merchandise from stores going out of business, from the grey market and yes in some cases knockoffs from China.

Total BS. This kind of statement drops your credibility to just about zero.

If you're going to make an intelligent argument for buying local, please don't drag out this kind of crap. It just flat out is not true.

I went to my LDS for a fill. Compressor down. I went to my LDS for a fill. No one "allowed" to fill a tank. I went to my LDS for a fill. Closed for no stated reason. I took an interested diver in for a discovery dive. Instructor did not show for appointment. I brought a reg set in for service. "we " do not service that international very popular brand. I asked for a new bulb for an internationally sold very popular light. We are out, but can order! (online) the bulb for you. with UPS of course!

This would be a great year for more inefficient LDSs to end their parasitic business practices and focus on making a profit by satisfying customers. In some cases the diving community may well be better served by another vacant store so that others may prosper. I hope the good ones can make the transition.

Unfortunately, Craig, you just make the case for divers to buy online instead of at some, repeat some, LDS.

The comments knocking online shops and their gear and practices and tearing them down verbally does not prove to me or anyone else why I or they should buy from you. Use your time and energy promoting your strengths, not trying to make others look bad so that you look good. This same lame tactic is used by some LDS against their competitors, whether they are online competitors or not.

And the comment about you "putting your balls on the line" is just plain silly. Why should I be reponsible for "your balls" and buying from you so you can stay in business? Will you be responsible for me if I spend too much money on your gear and can't pay my bills?

The above points are the same made by many poorly run LDS and pretty much ensure that they will not survive in the long term in the modern business climate.

The best LDS are the ones that look to the customer and try to fulfill the customers' needs and expectations. It's called "customer service". I have dealt with Scuba Toys, Divers Direct and Leisurepro both online AND at their brick and mortar stores. They combine the best of both actual stores and online shopping and most importantly, they work hard at "customer service"!

It's always puzzled me that Local Dive Shops seem to have banded together and defined the world as LDS's vs the Internet. They pick some examples from the 'Internet' that for the most part are not true and absolutely not representative of what most buyers experience. Then, by lumping themselves together with every other LDS that take on the baggage from all the shops that do a piss poor job of almost everything except maybe selling gear to newly certified divers.

It's interesting to see that customers on this thread don't say 'I bought xyz from the Internet'. They say they bought it from ScubaToys or DiveSports or DiveRiteExpress. Then they turn around and say what a bad experience they had at their LDS.

You want to know why active divers are hesitant to tell someone 'You need to go visit your LDS and let them help you out'? Unless you know something about the particular LDS they will go to then you could be sending them to a decent experience or you could be leading sheep to the slaughter.

Separate yourself from the pack. You could probably convince me that a particular local shop is well worth supporting. You're never going to convince most divers that all local shops deserve support.

Rich

You want to know why active divers are hesitant to tell someone 'You need to go visit your LDS and let them help you out'? Unless you know something about the particular LDS they will go to then you could be sending them to a decent experience or you could be leading sheep to the slaughter.

Separate yourself from the pack.

Rich

Plus when I do say that, it is to local divers I run into a local dive sites. And it does happen with some regularity that I will suggest divers patronize a particular local shop once I understand their needs and expectations.

It's interesting to see that customers on this thread don't say 'I bought xyz from the Internet'. They say they bought it from ScubaToys or DiveSports or DiveRiteExpress. Then they turn around and say what a bad experience they had at their LDS.

I also find it funny when someone actually gives out the name of the LDS where they feel they were mistreated, and somehow word of their post makes it back to the shop and the owner/salesperson in question hops on the board (with their brandnew 1-4 posts account) and "sets the record straight" on how it is usually the imaptient, unforgiving, or "If you had only told me (insert whatever)" customer who is actually at fault.

I should stop- I am starting to sound really bitter. I know there are some GREAT LDS's out there, but I have just seen too much bad in an industry that seems unwilling to change to hold my tongue too much for this kind of nonsense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom