Only one dive in Hawaii (Big Island). Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love that second pic, ha-ha-ha!

I would say the Manta Ray night dive first, and then Honaunau AKA Two Step. We did both these dives last year and had a great time. There is lots to see at Two Step and you have a chance to swim with the Spinner Dolphens. We dove there 3 times during our week. Great Diving. We used Jack's for our tanks, and did two boat dives with them, including the Manta Ray night dive.

The night dive with the mantas - absolutely amazing. You won't forget it.

Yep. If you can only do one dive on the Big Island in your life, it's the Manta Ray Night Dive. Jack's Diving Locker does a nice job with this dive.:lotsalove:

Manta night dive with Jack's Diving Locker on the Kona coast. I just came from a vacation there and they were terrific. I work in the industry and they had one of the best operations I have ever seen. Great staff, knowledgeable, courteous, and very professional. Their boats are comfortable, very clean and organized.

I would recommend the afternoon dive followed by the manta night dive. I doubt you will be disappointed.

I have a question from a diving newbie who's going to be spending a week on the Big Island next year. Is the manta ray night dive recommended for a diver who'll probably have about 10 OW dives under his belt? Unless my life drastically changes in the next few months, I don't think there's a chance my number of dives will increase beyond that number.

To be honest, I'm very confident that I won't be spooked by the dark environment, or the critters that come out at night. My main concerns are my lack of navigation skills, and possible buddy seperation due to strong currents. Do you need to be an experienced diver to attempt this? Thanks!

I went on my first manta night dive at about the same dive numbers as you. Got certified in SoCal and immediately went on vacation to Kona. The night dive is well run, you are not on your own. No navigation, no current (that I ever felt), divemaster/guides keep a close eye on everyone. Usually put colored light sticks on your tank yoke, coded to which group you are with.

It is NOT a challenging dive, and with all the lights to draw plankton, not all that dark either. No worries..............

I have a question from a diving newbie who's going to be spending a week on the Big Island next year. Is the manta ray night dive recommended for a diver who'll probably have about 10 OW dives under his belt? Unless my life drastically changes in the next few months, I don't think there's a chance my number of dives will increase beyond that number.

To be honest, I'm very confident that I won't be spooked by the dark environment, or the critters that come out at night. My main concerns are my lack of navigation skills, and possible buddy seperation due to strong currents. Do you need to be an experienced diver to attempt this? Thanks!

Lopaka is right. The manta dive is an amazing dive, one you won't soon forget. We went with Big Island Divers and were carefully and cheerfully taken care of. Don't fret, just go for it and have fun.

I agree with Lopaka and Teamcasa.

We took our 3 kids on the Manta night dive last year, they were at approximately dive 10 - 15 post OW. The youngest had just turned 11. He had an eel swim across his legs as he knelt on the bottom and thought it was "cool" :D You'll really enjoy it. It is not a challenging dive, just make sure you are comfortable in the water. Enjoy!

You should be fine... unless it's been a long while. If those dives were from a year or two ago or more from now, and you won't have any more dives 'til you get there, you might want to do a day outing first. Most operators are running the afternoon dive first to get divers back into the swing of things as layoffs are common with those who primarily dive when they travel. If some of those dives were from this year, or likely to happen between now and then, you should have few problems with just taking the two tank trip.

As other's have said, it's an easy night dive, maybe one of the easiest you'll ever find. We take newly certifed divers on it all the time. Navigation shouldn't be a problem if you can stick with a group, pretty much all boat dives are lead here.

You should be fine... unless it's been a long while. If those dives were from a year or two ago or more from now, and you won't have any more dives 'til you get there, you might want to do a day outing first. Most operators are running the afternoon dive first to get divers back into the swing of things as layoffs are common with those who primarily dive when they travel. If some of those dives were from this year, or likely to happen between now and then, you should have few problems with just taking the two tank trip.

As other's have said, it's an easy night dive, maybe one of the easiest you'll ever find. We take newly certifed divers on it all the time. Navigation shouldn't be a problem if you can stick with a group, pretty much all boat dives are lead here.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I was certified OW this past May, but haven't been able to dive since due to circumstances beyond my control (How do you get 2 colds and the flu in one summer?! :confused:). Anyhow, it is my intention to get in at least a couple of daytime dives before attempting this night dive. I only wish that someone else in the group that'll be vacationing with us were certified:depressed:. They don't know what they're missing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom