Only one type of gear? Why limit yourself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've recently accepted a Canadian editor's invitation to write an article on the benefits of sidemount, particularly as it pertains to underwater photographers. Perhaps, if my muse ever shows up and I get the article written, I'll let you take a look at it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've recently accepted a Canadian editor's invitation to write an article on the benefits of sidemount, particularly as it pertains to underwater photographers. Perhaps, if my muse ever shows up and I get the article written, I'll let you take a look at it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob,
Thank you! I'd be very happy and honored to publish it on my site.Maybe we can get a dive in too some time.

I've recently accepted a Canadian editor's invitation to write an article on the benefits of sidemount, particularly as it pertains to underwater photographers.

Hoping to read that one soon :wink:

"Why would anybody limit themselves to a single type of gear configuration?"

If that single gear configuration can appropriately be used in every environment that you dive in, then why not?! If that is the case, then it's not limiting anything to begin with!

If that single gear configuration can appropriately be used in every environment that you dive in, then why not?! If that is the case, then it's not limiting anything to begin with!
If all your dives are in essentially the same type of environment then you are absolutely correct. For active divers who dive a wide range of environments I believe different configurations are called for. A while back a group of us went to South Florida to wreck dive. The weather turned and the boat trip was cancelled. We decided to make the best of it and dive Blue Heron Bridge. The only gear we had with us was back mounted doubles. Did we look funny diving in 25 feet of water in doubles? Yep! Was it a lot of work walking the doubles down to the water? Sure. Did we do the dive and had fun? Absolutely! Did we wish we had our single tank rigs? Oh we did! To this day I tell that story when I dive Blue Heron and always get a laugh. I'm glad the article is being read and the disagreement is a good thing. The primary take-away is that people are thinking about their decisions. It's not a good thing to allow ones self to be led blindly. When you truly understand why a D-ring on your equipment is where it is or when you make an adjustment because you know in advance the effect it will have then you've gained enough experience to be a good diver. Equipment configuration recommendations should be a part of every dive class. Savvy divers will take the recommendations, consider them and make decisions that are right for them.

If all your dives are in essentially the same type of environment then you are absolutely correct. For active divers who dive a wide range of environments I believe different configurations are called for. A while back a group of us went to South Florida to wreck dive. The weather turned and the boat trip was cancelled. We decided to make the best of it and dive Blue Heron Bridge. The only gear we had with us was back mounted doubles. Did we look funny diving in 25 feet of water in doubles? Yep! Was it a lot of work walking the doubles down to the water? Sure. Did we do the dive and had fun? Absolutely! Did we wish we had our single tank rigs? Oh we did! To this day I tell that story when I dive Blue Heron and always get a laugh. I'm glad the article is being read and the disagreement is a good thing. The primary take-away is that people are thinking about their decisions. It's not a good thing to allow ones self to be led blindly. When you truly understand why a D-ring on your equipment is where it is or when you make an adjustment because you know in advance the effect it will have then you've gained enough experience to be a good diver. Equipment configuration recommendations should be a part of every dive class. Savvy divers will take the recommendations, consider them and make decisions that are right for them.

Fair enough! :) Although, GUE divers pretty much dive the same configuration anywhere and everywhere because it serves the purpose just fine in near every situation, everywhere from Blue Heron to deep caves. I've been with them at Blue Heron and they were all in doubles and nobody complained! LOL Although, they were doing training exercises. :) I've seen some of them dive SM but only when it was completely necessary. AKA cave with very small passageways where a BM rig would never fit. But, GUE generally recommends the same configuration for near every dive and I personally don't see anything wrong with that!

Something like that happened to me once. It wasn't hauling the doubles into and out of the water that was painful ... it was breathing the 21/35 I had in them on a dive that never got below 50 feet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Something like that happened to me once. It wasn't hauling the doubles into and out of the water that was painful ... it was breathing the 21/35 I had in them on a dive that never got below 50 feet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Know that feeling! Had that sort of happen in the reverse. A couple of months ago I got my LP 85s filled with 19/40 to dive the Skye Cliffe out of Boynton Beach. We got blown out. A week later I was invited for a photo shoot at Eagles Nest. I figured we'd stay in the entrance room so I brought that gas. The camera malfunctioned so my buddies who had a more appropriate mix took off to enjoy the dive. I spent an annoyed hour doing deco and making my way back out.

That's a good idea but honestly, do you think it would really work? Look at the wide spectrum of success (or lack thereof) we see with dive clubs. Also, there would be little oversight and quality control. Would a reg tech stay current and give his time for free?
Why do you think that reg tech gives his time for free? He services my reg, I pay to the club ( hint: not for profit does not mean no money, but no profit made), club uses this money to send that tech to dive/barbecue/social event/training etc.

There is an interesting phenomenon in this thread- the belief that I'm espousing one rigid concept or attacking sidemount and that is just not true.
Only thing you were against in your article was sidemount, so that's the feeling I got. In your later posts you explained your position, but article is definitely anti-sidemount.

Let's start with a simple premise ... all gear, regardless of what it is, comes with benefits and drawbacks. What's appropriate for you depends entirely on your understand what those are, and deciding for yourself which are more important to you. My reasons for choosing a specific style of diving may bear little resemblance to yours, when considering the exact same choices.

Never dived BM doubles or SM but here's my two PSI - the best gear to wear for any situation is that which works best for you for that situation.

Is someone choosing a jacket BCD over a BP&W wrong? Maybe but maybe that is what works best for them for rec dives.
Is the DIR route right for everyone? Probably not for most rec divers.
+1

And lastly, @JohnnyC , dude, what is your problem? Yes, @Richard FDC ,IMHO, was wrong in his article, but it wasn't like he abused your dog!

Only thing you were against in your article was sidemount, so that's the feeling I got. In your later posts you explained your position, but article is definitely anti-sidemount.!

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your thoughtful and measured response but have to take exception to the quote above. Please read the article carefully. I am not anti-sidemount and don't say that in the article. However I am making the statement that I don't believe that going sidemount only is a good idea for active divers who dive in a variety of conditions. I don't dive doubles all the time. I don't dive a single tank all the time. I choose the right gear for the job. Here's a quote from the article, "Sidemount equipment is a great tool. It provides safety through redundancy and the configuration makes the valves and regulators more accessible. The gear is more streamlined and can be liberating, allowing properly trained divers to slip easily through tight places underwater. It is a stable configuration that can help with trim and buoyancy control. Is it for every diver and for every dive? No, but it has its place in the toolbox." Please explain to me how that is in any way "anti-sidemount."

Also, I find it interesting that this thread got ripped so far off track that we keep discussing the benefits of dive clubs over for profit dive shops. I never realized there is so much animosity out there directed toward dive shops. I think, as one post stated, that there are good and bad dive shops but the free market sorts that out. I happen to really appreciate the dive shops I deal with. They give me good service, treat me well, and the employees and owners generally become friends. I'd hate to see them lose their businesses or jobs. I've had good experiences with dive clubs as well and think there is a place for them alongside our dive shops. I'm sorry, I'm a free market capitalist :)

Back
Top Bottom