Open Water Courses and the Swim Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My only realy problem with the swimtests, is that above a certain level of fitness and in water confort, they become nothing more than tests of swimming technique.

The only reason I can't swim 300/400 or more yards front crawl is because my technique sucks and I can't consistently breath while doing it. The same with underwater swimming, 50 yards is either really easy with the right technique or really difficult because your working far too hard.

I'm just not sure I understand why I'm required to have a certain level of skill for something that I will never use outside of Scuba classes.

I've been taking swimming lessons, because I find it annoying that I have to swim on my back to pass the swimtests. and FWIW I'm no more comfortable in the water for the swim lessons than I was prior to them.

ihunter,

"NAUI requires both a 200 yard unequipped surface swim"

Your instructor may require this, but NAUI does not. NAUI used to require a 225 yd swim, but some time ago eliminated the distance requirement entirely. NAUI now requires a given number (12?) of stroke cycles instead. NAUI does allow its instructors to add requirements.

o2scuba,

You are reading way more into my words than I've put there and you are taking it way too personally.

Let's look at a few points.......

"you are assuming that we teach minimum PADI requirements."

Nope. I'm not assuming that at all. I am merely taking you at your word, as evidenced by :

"Asking students to do MORE than the requirements is far from reasonable, lenient or prudent."

I was assuming you would act in a manner you would find reasonable, lenient and prudent. I apologize for that assumption. I'll try not to let it happen again.

"I've never seen you in my classroom, in the pool or at open water training sites."

It wasn't necessary to attend your class to see what you advocate. You pointed out:

"PADI will not allow an instructor to "fail" a student because they could not complete the swim requirements beyond the PADI requirements."

That was in addition to your above statement about not asking students to do more than required by the agency. While you may not (and you haven't been exactly clear on that topic) teach minimum PADI standards, that is what you have advocated in your posts in this thread.

I never said I rescued any of your students. I said, "I've had to rescue so many of the divers produced in that manner I stopped counting in the mid 80's." Taken in context, that clearly refers to training while following minimum PADI standards, not students you've personally trained. You may be the best instructor to ever put on a pair of fins, I don't know. I do know the methods you have advocated in this thread leave much to be desired.

"I could say that YOU are handicaped by the system to which YOU confine yourself"

You could say that, but the system in which I teach allows me to add requirements. It allows me to present skills in a much more logical order than the rigid order required by other systems. The system I use is not confining.

"Actually, I do teach excellent classes. I challenge you to find anyone in the northeast who is so thorough."

If that is true, and I have no reason to doubt your statement, you obviously (an assumption, I admit) "train divers beyond those 'requirements'." In order to produce the quality you've assured me you do produce, you would have to train in that manner. My question to you is how would you produce that quality with a student who refused to do any of the "training beyond requirements?" You can't withhold the card. You would be forced to certify a diver that was no better than those taught by instructors who do teach absolute minimums.

Jason is a likeable chap, when he's not trolling. OTOH, he was comparing his 1 year of experience to DeepSeaDan's 30 years. Sorry, but you know as well as I that anyone with an ounce of sense would give more weight to DeepSeaDan's opinion that to Jason's. I did not compare his experience to mine. He compared his experience to DeepSeaDan's. I merely pointed out what that comparison actually showed, since it was disguised in Jason's post. Also, I never said Jason's opinion "holds no credibility." I said, "you can't expect me to give your opinions equal weight with the opinions of those with much greater experience."

"Are you training to be a recreational diver, or a Navy Seal?"

"OK, I see your point, this statement does sound a little judgemental or sarcastic. Never-the-less, it does represent my opinion regarding swim tests."

If such a statement represents your opinion regarding swim tests, I believe it indicates you are not as open minded as you believe.

"The fact that I asked about the requirements of NAUI proves that I am indeed openminded, and interested in others input."

No. It does prove you are interested, it proves nothing about you being open minded, one way or the other.

"There you go again with the sarcasm. READ THE POST, I never condoned or condemned anything."

I'm glad it didn't go unnoticed. I hate it when good sarcasm is wasted. Actually, I did read the post:

"I've heard other horror stories of instructors who require students to swim the length of the pool underwater, on one breath."

When you refer to a practice as a "horror story" you have, indeed, condemned that practice.

"Do you disagree that holding your breath is a bad habit?"

Here you are saying holding your breath is a bad habit. You were not referring to someone on SCUBA. You were referring to the watermanship evaluation. You again condemned the underwater swim.

"yes, PADI too teaches snorkelling/skindiving."

Since it is impossible to skin dive without holding your breath, you are either condoning teaching students to hold their breath or condemning PADI's practice of teaching skin diving. I admit, it was an assumption on my part that you were condoning teaching students to hold their breath. I apologize for the assumption. You tell me, were you condoning the practice or condemning PADI?

"While the swim teast <sic> can be done at different times during the program, I think most of us do it closer to the beginning."

Depends on the agency. Standards require my students to pass a swim test before I can start training then in the pool. They must swim 300 yds, swim 50 ft underwater and stay afloat for 15 minutes before I can certify them. If they can't accomplish this, I can continue in water training and allow them to complete those requirements later if they have completed a 200 yd swim, a 40 ft underwater swim and 10 minutes afloat. If they can't pass those requirements, we can't continue in water training until they can.

"IMO this is not the time to encourage breath holding."

Why? You haven't started to teach them anything at this point. I started teaching in '86. In all the years since, I've never had a single student who could not tell the difference between swimming, skin diving and SCUBA. This is really a non-issue. The underwater swim doesn't teach them to hold their breath underwater. They already do that. You need to teach them not to hold their breath while on compressed air.

Since you so adamantly condemned the underwater swim, I wanted your opinion on how instructors should deal with standards which require that swim. Apparently, violating standards is not how you'd suggest they deal with the requirement (another assumption, I know). I still don't know what approach you would recommend.

"You do come across pretty strong......."

A curse, I know, but don't let it bother you my feelings aren't damaged. My editor is traveling right now and is unable to keep me out of trouble. I'm aware my words often come across as harsh when that is not my intention, but I usually discover it when a friend tells me, "It sounded like ......"

At no time (OK, so the comment about "You condone it when it's PADI, yet condemn it when it's not PADI?" is an exception) have I said anything in this thread which I've intended for you to take personally.

Hey, Walter.

SA

Walter once bubbled...

"You are reading way more into my words than I've put there and you are taking it way too personally."

The you go with assumptions again. No worries, I don't take it personally, quite the opposite...I don't take anything you say hurtful, or insulting. Some of it is quite amusing actually. . How would you know how I "take" anything, unless you have recently performed the Vulcan mind meld, without my knowledge.

"It wasn't necessary to attend your class to see what you advocate. You pointed out:

"PADI will not allow an instructor to "fail" a student because they could not complete the swim requirements beyond the PADI requirements."

Swim test Walter, swim tests....try to stay focused!

"That was in addition to your above statement about not asking students to do more than required by the agency. While you may not (and you haven't been exactly clear on that topic) teach minimum PADI standards, that is what you have advocated in your posts in this thread. "

Swim tests Walter, swim tests....try to stay focussed!

My question to you is how would you produce that quality with a student who refused to do any of the "training beyond requirements?" You can't withhold the card. You would be forced to certify a diver that was no better than those taught by instructors who do teach absolute minimums.

Well, that's really a topic beyond this thread (swim tests)....but
I can't think of any case when a student "refused" training which they have paid for. Students don't study instructor manuals. No one ever spoke up and said "hey, I think you are teaching us way too much".
"absolut minimums", that's a subjective term. While a less quality instructor may consider skills to be adequate, more experienced (and talented) instructors are more likely to demand higher quality. We have all seen what some instructors consider to be acceptable: horrible bouyancy skills, bad posture, poor fin kick cycles, lack of knowledge....need I go on.

""Are you training to be a recreational diver, or a Navy Seal?"

If such a statement represents your opinion regarding swim tests, I believe it indicates you are not as open minded as you believe."

Does having an open mind mean I have to change my opinion to yours? 50yards underwater swim is overkill (IMO). I'm not condemning the teaching of it, just voicing my opinion. When a PADI instructor "requires" this, they are going far beyond the requiremts.

"I'm glad it didn't go unnoticed. I hate it when good sarcasm is wasted"

Well, they say sarcasm is a tool for the weak minded. I won't make any judgements, I'll be open minded and give you the benefit of the doubt.

"I'm aware my words often come across as harsh when that is not my intention, "

Acceptance is the first step! Nothing personal, just that presenting yourself in this manor can easily take away credibility of your words to those reading them.

""IMO this is not the time to encourage breath holding."

Why? You haven't started to teach them anything at this point "

Exactly. Many students are uncomfortable with a reg in the very beginning. Breathing normally is one of the first skills they learn. Some find it a challenge. I prefer to get them comfortable with SCUBA before going on to skin diving (which comes later in the program anyway).

"Since you so adamantly condemned the underwater swim, I wanted your opinion on how instructors should deal with standards which require that swim. Apparently, violating standards is not how you'd suggest they deal with the requirement (another assumption, I know). I still don't know what approach you would recommend."

We do not require this skill in the PADI system, therefore I have no tips for. You'll have to talk to a NAUI instructor for advise on this. If you've been teaching this since 86, you must have a few tricks up your sleeve.

Is it just me, or is this conversation going in circles?

Swimming has everything to do with diving. If you cant swim you should not be diving. You need to get out there and learn how to swim. The whole point to the swim test is to see if you are 1. comfortable in the water, 2. have endurance, 3. to see if you can swim a distance then stop and rest by floating then continue to swim.

aj

o2scuba once bubbled...

Swim test Walter, swim tests....try to stay focused!
o2scuba,

swim test... swim requirements... the two really do go together.

o2scuba once bubbled...
Is it just me, or is this conversation going in circles?
Yep. It is... partly because statements are "on topic" when you say them and "off topic" when someone responds.

ScubaFishee once bubbled...

o2scuba,

swim test... swim requirements... the two really do go together.

Yep. It is... partly because statements are "on topic" when you say them and "off topic" when someone responds.

Scubafishee,

Actually the correct term is "watermanship Assessment" swim test is shorter to type tho),... but call it what you want.

In any case the "topic" is in reference to the importance of swimming related to being a diver. I was not the one who started the thread, I just voiced my opinion.

I would hardly call someone who can swim 200 yards and tread water for 10 min a "non-swimmer", you?

If you don't agree, that's OK, you are entitled to your thoughts as we all are. You are welcome to share them. But attacking my statements is kinda useless.

SOUTH DEVON once bubbled...
I was allowed to wear my wetsuit during the swimming and treading water test, as I said that I had forgot my swimming shorts, and the Paddi instructor was happy , I also had swimming goggles on! Obviously because of the extra buoyancy I floated quite easily so I would suggest asking if you can wear a wetsuit in the swimming pool for the test, say you feel the cold or something!
Steve

I'm hoping that Paddi is a differnet certification organization than PADI...or your instructor violated PADI standards. Students CAN wear exposure suits but they MUST wear weight to compensate for the additional buoyancy and be neutrally buoyant while performing the tests.

o2scuba once bubbled...
Actually the correct term is "watermanship Assessment" swim test is shorter to type tho),... but call it what you want.
I simply called it the same thing you did.
o2scuba once bubbled...
If you don't agree, that's OK, you are entitled to your thoughts as we all are. You are welcome to share them.
Thank you, not that I was waiting for your permission.
o2scuba once bubbled...
But attacking my statements is kinda useless.
I see... and why are my comments attacks while yours are statements?

jepuskar once asked...

Please tell me what swimming in your swim trunks and then putting on a BC, mask, fins, scuba tank, WEIGHT, ohh and dont forget that snorkel, wetsuit etc....have to do with each other?
<snip>
jason

OK...take this scenario.
A diver goes on vacation in the summer time and since the water is a toasty 90 degrees opts to wear either a skin or just their bathing suit. The diver goes on a dive and becomes separated from his/her buddy. He or she searches for no more than one minute and surfaces to regroup. At some point, either while searching or ascending or after making it to the surface the diver has a problem with the inflator/deflator and it becomes imposisble to inflate the BCD (I'e seen well maintained equipment fail so don't think it can't happen) and since the dive was aborted before returning to the ascent line the diver finds him/herself a good distance from the boat/beach/exit point. The diver realizes that there is a problem and ditches his or her weights hoping to keep a nose in the air.

Now consider this...

Different tanks have different buoyancy characteristics. The Low Pressure 120s I use are negatively buoyant when completely empty while an aluminum 80 is positively buoyant when empty but may pose a challenge to navigation back to the exit point and generally not buoyant enough to float a person comfortably. Plus, now the BCD has sucked in a bunch of water and is pulling the now exhausted diver below the surface so the diver ditches the BCD.

At this point the diver can barely see the exit point due to distance and wave action and loses sight of it quite often. The dilligent Dive Master and Captain on board are looking around for surfaced divers and may or may not have yet seen the lone diver yet. Either way, the diver is worried about his or her own safety and that of thier buddy. What is likely to ensue? If the diver is not a good swimmer the first thing that is likely to happen is panic. What is likely to happen after panic set in? Drowning. If the diver is a competent swimmer at least there is some level of comfort that he or she can begin making a way to the boat, or, if in a strong current, at least tread water while waving arms like a hyperactive sea anenome to get attention and help.

The competent swimmer, both in skill and in endurance, has a MUCH better chance to make it back to the exit point with or without help than the diver who has paniced and drowned.

The skill tests are the FIRST thing I have my students perform in the pool and if any student can't perform these tasks to meet my satisfaction, the diver does not see open water. I allow them to go throught their confined water skills and if they are competent at these I will allow them to join up with another class after a review of their confined water skills only after they have completed their swimming tests. If the student ends up going to another instructor, I will provide an annotated referral describing any topics of special concern and any tasks met during my classes.

Make no mistake. While underwater, surface swimming skills may not be teribly important.

The fact of the matter is that EVERY dive starts at the surface; only the ones we get to enjoy end on the surface as well.

Competent swimming is a safety issue while on any SCUBA trip.

Back
Top Bottom